Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A little help with using Santander's overdraft? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I've had the student account since first year and all has been well.. Until now. My mum has recently got sick so I had to quick my job or take care of her and the house.
    I have applied for the full loan this year and did so early June within the deadline so I guess I should get the payments on time. But from now until the start of my course I'm not sure if I will have enough to cover things.
    I will probably have to dip into my loan, maybe a couple hundred just to get by. But since I don't have a job right now, do you think things will be okay? Like it's usually £500 a term but what's the deal over summer? I don't think it will be until September that I will need to use some of the overdraft and I think I should get by loan payment around the last week of September? Just panicking a bit and wondered if someone could clear things

Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Honey I am so far into my santander over draft right now, it's not even funny!!
    Not sure exactly what you're asking here...but regardless of the time of year, you can use your overdraft...term time or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ldsbabe)
    Honey I am so far into my santander over draft right now, it's not even funny!!
    Not sure exactly what you're asking here...but regardless of the time of year, you can use your overdraft...term time or not.
    I guess I'm just wondering if it's okay to use it sort of August/September even though I won't have money coming in until my loan at the end of August?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraharper18)
    I guess I'm just wondering if it's okay to use it sort of August/September even though I won't have money coming in until my loan at the end of August?
    Of course it is!!
    I'm sure you have like 4 years to pay the over draft off. Don't even worry about it, you're fine.
    I'm in the same position x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ldsbabe)
    Of course it is!!
    I'm sure you have like 4 years to pay the over draft off. Don't even worry about it, you're fine.
    I'm in the same position x
    Thanks for the advice. So I should be able to use a couple hundred pounds and not get any grief from the bank? It would only be for a month or so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraharper18)
    Thanks for the advice. So I should be able to use a couple hundred pounds and not get any grief from the bank? It would only be for a month or so

No of course not.
    If it puts your mind at rest, google santander student account and read the terms and conditions.
    They are not expecting the money back until after university finishes (however many years left you have).

ReputationRep:
    It's fine, I was £500 into my Santander overdraft once, nothing happened. I just came out of it when I got my loan payment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kandy_Kain_94)
    It's fine, I was £500 into my Santander overdraft once, nothing happened. I just came out of it when I got my loan payment.
    Thanks again! I guess I was just worried incase the rules were different during summer. But it would be in September maybe august that I would need to break into the overdraft and then late September I would get my loan, so I guess all is well!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.