Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Daydream nightmares?" Should I be worried? Watch

I quite frequently get what I can only describe as "daydream nightmares". So just bad daydreams, but I am fully awake and fully aware that I'm dreaming. I've read about sleep paralysis and it's not that because I remain fully functional. Like for example, while I was at work last night I imagined my friend running into the shop that I work in, crying because a friend of ours had killed himself. Although I knew it wasn't real, that I was only imagining it, it made me panic, and I found myself looking at the door frequently, waiting for her to come running in bringing the bad news. Other things I have daydreamed include my sister dying, my parents getting cancer, myself getting cancer, and an odd but terrifying recurring one of me having a miscarriage (I have not, or never have been pregnant).They affect me for days afterwards, make me lose sleep, lose my appetite, become quiet and withdrawn, and filled with deep sadness for a few days. All I can think about is the nightmare, and what I would do if my imagined scenarios happened, and how I could stop them.Seems like a huge overreaction to stupid scenarios played out by my over active imagination. But I can't help it. Is this something everyone experiences? Something I just have to deal with? Something I can do something about? Something worth seeing a doctor about, or would they laugh me out of their office?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like intrusive thoughts to me (though obviously I'm not qualified, nor have I met you so take that with a pinch of salt). If you find that they are seriously affecting you it might be worth visiting your GP and seeing if there is anything s/he can do to help, or maybe refer you to someone who can,

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.