Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When I was a child, I had a noticeable stutter. It's been dealt with since then but comes on when I'm extremely nervous, like in an OSCE. I had been on the ward and had no problems with my stutter so I figured that in my first OSCE, it would be the same. I was wrong. I had my OSCE exam last week, and in a few stations I was so very nervous that I was stuttering very badly to the point where the patient actually had to fill in my words for me in one!!!! Will this cause the examiner to mark me as being unsure of myself and lacking confidence?

I haven't informed the university of this issue as it's minor really and I don't want it to look like I'm saying anything I can to gain marks. Plus, it's far too late to even inform them of anything as exams finished a week ago. I'm just wondering if something like this can cause me to fail or lose significant marks?

ReputationRep:
    It's an OSCE so as long as you tick the boxes you won't fail.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You're not going to fail because of that. There's chance you'll lose some marks (usually the global ones at the end for 'overall performance', or slickness) but that isn't a pass/fail thing. If you asked about fever you asked about fever, if you had a bit of a stutter or not! It might be worth mentioning it to the med school for the future though so they can take it into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    You may drop some marks for communication skills, depending on how much of a penis the examiner is. So long as you did the rest of the station OK you should be fine, but make sure you inform the uni before the next one, then if it really does affect one of your stations badly next time they can take it into account.

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh! This caused me to fail at my OSCE I'm currently going through an appeals process about it.

ReputationRep:
    May I ask... how did it go? Are you a qualified doctor now?

ReputationRep:
    My only concern would be if you were stuttering so much as to lose a lot of time. In terms of it being an issue otherwise, doubt it. Couple of marks for slickness as stated above

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.