Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to split £1,500 budget between MTM suit, 5 shirts and shoes…HELP! watch

ReputationRep:
    I am about to start a new job in London and need to top up my wardrobe with one extra suit, a pair of shoes and around 5-10 shirts and ties. I have a budget of around £1500-£1750 for this.

For my MTM suit, I have decided to go with Cad and the Dandy (prices start from £550). How much of my budget would it be sensible to allocate to my suit? As this is my first foray into MTM suit, I am unsure of which extras are worth paying that bit extra for and which would be better saved until a point at which my budget could better accommodate them (e.g. a higher grade of cloth (increasing in +£100 increments), half hand-stitched (+£200), fully hand-stictched (+£400) etc). Would the ‘entry level’ cloth at C&tD be superior to that of a sub-£500 off-the-peg suit?

Based on the answers to the above, any recommendations for how my remaining budget could be spent in terms of quality shirt, tie and shoe brands, would also be greatly appreciated.

I am aware that this is not an easy question to answer, but given that I have never spent this amount of money on this type of clothing before, I am anxious to ensure that I get the most for my money and split my budget wisely.

Many thanks,

Chris

ReputationRep:
    I don't really like the phrase 'first world problems', but I'd have no idea how to spend that much money on suits/shirts/shoes! For one suit, 10 shirts, a pair of shoes and ties I reckon I could spend £400 tops!

Christ I get my shirts from Matalan, Asda, and ASOS when they have a sale

ReputationRep:
    Spend ~£800-900 on the suit, you might want a spare pair of trousers too.

Drop £150 on two pairs of shoes - make sure they're smart AND comfortable, Should be able to get away with £200 on shirts and ties.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to buy a MTM suit if you have no idea of what you are doing? Unless you have a very disproportional body and the tailor can't fix the problems then there are other alternatives. If you don't have those problems, I would just get a regular RTW suit and get it tailored.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.