Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Flatmate etiquette - how do you behave when living with other people Watch

• Editorial Team

ReputationRep:
    Different student flatshares always have different rules. I've been in harmonious flat where everything is shared and people cook dinner together and a very low tolerant flat where everyone would keep separate loo roll in their rooms!

What do you share? What do you not share? Do you have any implicit rules that you and your flatmates live by?

ReputationRep:
    If your behaviour impacts negatively on someone else then I think you're lacking consideration.

My flat argued beyond belief in the first term. Half of us were relatively clean and tidy and the other half not. One half of us valued some sleep at night and actually went to lectures, the others not. The "good habits" didn't make a difference to the people with "bad habits" but the people with bad habits generally caused a lot of upset to the people with good habits. If you want to go out then good for you, but make some vague effort to be quiet at 4 am rather than shouting down the corridor and banging on people's doors.

We mostly just used to cook for ourselves because people are busy at different times, but usually you'd find someone else in there cooking at a similar time so it was nice to chat over eating. We all had en-suites so thankfully bathrooms weren't an issue. We all had our own plates and pans etc. so at least when someone left theirs filthy for a few days it wasn't preventing you from eating.

I think we pooled together for some communal stuff (washing up liquid, bin bags etc.). I think the biggest issue was mainly who would take the bins out occasionally someone would poach someone else's food but mostly everyone had the decency to ask its owner first.

ReputationRep:
    No..we never had any rules in first year :confused: People are moving out and living independently for the first time in their lives for the majority of people, why would they want to burden themselves with more rules? It must be a low percentage of people that do this. We didn't share toilet roll and everyone kept it in their own rooms but we never established any rules around it or anything it was just a thing that we did. One of my flat mates towards the end of the year did start to get angry because he felt no one else but him was doing their fair share of taking out the rubbish (which he was right, even I admit to slacking in that regard) But again we never established any rules around it such as we had to take turns taking out the rubbish or anything, nothing like that occurred. The same flatmate also got angry all the time because everyone was using his cutlery.
    We never shared anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    No..we never had any rules in first year :confused: People are moving out and living independently for the first time in their lives for the majority of people, why would they want to burden themselves with more rules? It must be a low percentage of people that do this.
    I don't see why setting a few ground rules to ensure the living conditions between flatmates are at a reasonable level would be such a burden? Personally, if my flatmates wanted to sort something out between ourselves for such a mundane task as taking out the rubbish, I wouldn't complain. It's called responsibility, and that's a part of growing up.
    • Editorial Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    No..we never had any rules in first year :confused: People are moving out and living independently for the first time in their lives for the majority of people, why would they want to burden themselves with more rules? It must be a low percentage of people that do this. We didn't share toilet roll and everyone kept it in their own rooms but we never established any rules around it or anything it was just a thing that we did. One of my flat mates towards the end of the year did start to get angry because he felt no one else but him was doing their fair share of taking out the rubbish (which he was right, even I admit to slacking in that regard) But again we never established any rules around it such as we had to take turns taking out the rubbish or anything, nothing like that occurred. The same flatmate also got angry all the time because everyone was using his cutlery.
    We never shared anything.
    I think that this is the problem though, some people feel exploited if there are no rules in place!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.