Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice for friendships in college/sixth form? watch

ReputationRep:
    In September I'm going to either go to college or sixth form depending on my results.

I'm taking fashion & design at college. I'm really worried about going to college/sixth form. I'm worried about falling behind in class, not being as good as everyone else and making friends. In the college interview the other girls seemed so dedicated to fashion. I do love fashion passionately but the other girls were acting like fashion is there reason to live or something.

In every new environment of people there's always division and I usually end up by myself. I left secondary school without any friends. How can I change this. I'm starting to think that I'm a horrible person. I used to be very outgoing & confident but I've lost a lot of confidence since secondary school. People generally don't like me.

Munashe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callmemunashe)
    In September I'm going to either go to college or sixth form depending on my results.

I'm taking fashion & design at college. I'm really worried about going to college/sixth form. I'm worried about falling behind in class, not being as good as everyone else and making friends. In the college interview the other girls seemed so dedicated to fashion. I do love fashion passionately but the other girls were acting like fashion is there reason to live or something.

In every new environment of people there's always division and I usually end up by myself. I left secondary school without any friends. How can I change this. I'm starting to think that I'm a horrible person. I used to be very outgoing & confident but I've lost a lot of confidence since secondary school. People generally don't like me.

Munashe
    trust me, most of them don't 'live' for fashion. It was either something they constructed to sound interesting at school or to impress the new teachers.
    My best advice is be yourself BUT push yourself as well. Smile more, strike up conversations with strangers, tell that joke you wanted to say and share the hobby that you won't admit to. Ask people questions, even if you think you know the answer this builds the persons trust of you, making it more likely fir friendships to form.

At the beginning of college, first impresssions are important and everyone is looking to make new friends, take advantage of it!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.