Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student finance mitigating circumstances criteria? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Would any of you wonderful people be able to find if this is a real thing? And any criteria for it? As ringing SF England has been nothing but useless.

I'll give a brief rundown of whats happened.

-End of second year found out my mum was very ill (dreaded c word)

-passed everything, apart from two modules which I didn't submit, I think I would've passed if I failed, but you can't progress with a Non submission.

- Said I wasn't gonna resit in summer as I wasn't gonna go back, I needed to be closer to home, incase the worst happened!

- Things started to look up so went to repeat second year to finish those two modules.

- a few weeks in My dad left my mum and moved to Europe and this triggered her getting worse. I instantly came home to look after her as there's no one else at home. Left my flat which i'd paid for and moved home, didn't go back to uni.

It's all written down with proof from the correct people. However i've been getting the impression, because thankfully my Mum didn't pop her clogs, SF England won't help me. But no ones said that directly.

ReputationRep:
    You didnt need to be closer to home, you chose to be.

Try being more honest and more specific.

How has ringing SF been "nothing but useless" ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baldness)
    You didnt need to be closer to home, you chose to be.

Try being more honest and more specific.

How has ringing SF been "nothing but useless" ?
    Not sure if you are a troll, or an absolute idiot.

There is no choice about it. If your mother was completely bedbound for 4 months, with no one to get her out and even take her to her chemotherapy for 9 months and get her food. All the while not knowing if she's actually going to survive. If anyone makes a different decision then I did, they need to look in the mirror.

Do not question my honesty, question your own morales.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan_griffin11)
    Not sure if you are a troll, or an absolute idiot.

There is no choice about it. If your mother was completely bed bound for 4 months, with no one to get her out and even take her to her chemotherapy for 9 months and get her food. All the while not knowing if she's actually going to survive. If anyone makes a different decision then I did, they need to look in the mirror.

Do not question my honesty, question your own morales.
    There is a choice.

I am sorry for your mums situation but if you were not there the state would HAVE to provide her care and you could suplement that whilst remaining on your course.

I can't speak for your mum but if I was in her position I would not want my child dropping out of a university course to provide care for me I could get elsewhere.

Ultimately of course you have to decide what is best for your mum, but I still contend you can't do that if you have already decided you don't have a choice.

Until you admit to yourself you do have a choice, I can't see how you can evaluate the pros and cons of different courses of action to come up with the best way to manage your and your mothers situation.

ReputationRep:
    I think everybody is neglecting the question asked, he wants to know whether his mitigating circumstances will be accepted in his situation. Leaving uni to look after a loved one is a massive choice to make and I feel he made the correct one. You have no idea of the situation or how he must have been feeling. Do you honestly think somebody could carry on with their course and get the grades they are capable of while being in such circumstances. Yes he could have left a random stranger to care for her and yes his Mother may with all her heart not wanted him to leave his course, but he did. A decision he chose because he wanted to care for his Mother himself. Not only that the state state do not HAVE to care for her, state care is financially assessed and the list for people needing care is massive. Some people have a conscience, imagine how he would of felt if something horrible had happened and he wasn't there. Putting your life on hold for a while for somebody you care for is not a bad thing, and a decision he made because he thought that was best at the time for her and his future. Please don't judge.

ReputationRep:
    Did you actually leave university twice?
    Your post isn't clear.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.