Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

overly critical friend who lacks sympathy for others Watch

My really good friend has a bit of a b****y personality and loves criticising other and their faults including people she speaks to on a regular basis. Lately, her new victims are people on the road who don't drive well/ just learning to drive. She's had her licence for about a month and it's been less than a year since she had her first lesson but now she feels the need to talk badly of every driver she sees out on the road.

Last night she was telling me about how awful this other learner driver was. I told her that she should humble herself and remember the nervous wreck she was when she was learning to drive, all the stalling and what not, and have some sympathy for this poor girl learning to drive. She was simply not having it. She wanted to just say negative thing and can't seem to accept that she was once a nervous wreck of a driver who couldn't do the simplest task very easily and ended up holding up everyone in the traffic. It just turned into a bit of an argument and i was not gonna back down and agree with her. I told her that there is no need to criticise other drivers like that.

I guess what i want to ask i how does one deal with being friends with someone who has such a critical and b***y personality? I mean if that's what she said about a stranger then I can't really begin to imagine what she would say about people she actually knows really well like me. Makes me feel paranoid that she probably goes round criticising me too them same way she did about this girl she'd never talked to in her life.

ReputationRep:
    is he of the religion of peace?

(Original post by CryptoidAlien)
    is he of the religion of peace?
    guessing you mean she and no she's not religious. But now that you mention it religious principles may have affected how she thought about treating other people idk :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Some people feel the need to be perpetually critical about the world around them, makes for a pain in the arse (I'm sure you'd agree). Nothing you can do about it really. :^_^:

Personally, I'd rather not want such a person as my 'good friend'.

(Original post by Pedd)
    Some people feel the need to be perpetually critical about the world around them, makes for a pain in the arse (I'm sure you'd agree). Nothing you can do about it really. :^_^:

Personally, I'd rather not want such a person as my 'good friend'.
    Definitely agree :sadnod:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.