The Student Room Group

Starting A Levels in September... Need Advice!

Hey, so im going into year 12 in September, I'm staying at my school, and the subjects I'm planning to take are:
English Lit
Psychology
Economics
ICT (not 100% sure yet)
I was a bit lazy with revision during my GCSE's, and I want to make sure that I am more organized from the very beginning of A Levels, so I can avoid leaving stuff till a few weeks (or in some cases, days) before deadlines and exams. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how I can stay organized better? :smile:
Also, I'm going to need 4 folders (1 for each subject), but that seems like way too much to take into school, so if anyone has any tips for making what I have to take into school more manageable that would be really helpful!
Thanks in advance <3 xxx
Reply 1
For the first few weeks you could keep everything in one folder, and then see what other people are doing. You could get a locker to keep your folders in during the day so you only have to take with you whichever one is needed for that lesson. I didn't bother with a locker so I just left mine in the common room (if yours is anything like ours, they tend to be very territorial so it'll only be your friends who will be near them whenever you're not there) in year 12. I passed my driving test at the beginning of year 13 and so used my boot to keep them in when I wasn't using them during the day.
Reply 2
I'd have 1 folder that you take to school, but separate it up into 4 sections inside the folder. Then at home, have 4 separate folders for the subjects and once you've completed a bit of work transfer it over and store it at home.

Also try and make sure you keep up with your notes and rewrite them if you need to so that when it comes to revision it'll be easier to read and learn stuff :smile:
Reply 3
I did folders in year 12 and hated it, they get way too full too fast and they're so heavy and difficult to fit into bags!!
What I did in Year 13 was buy A4 notebooks, one for each subject - I then sellotaped a slippy fish in the back on each for loose paper. This worked incredibly well - I used 2-3 notebooks per subject. Much easier than having to file everything, much easier to carry around.

For staying organised, get a planner, and make it a habit to check it every morning and every time you get home from college. ALWAYS write in assignments or homework with the deadline, and get on with the work as soon as it's been set. Make sure the work is in your notebook when you finish it so that you don't forget it.

I did this all through my A-Levels and only missed one deadline due to a bad, bad week. I am not usually that organised but like you, I knew I needed to up my game for A Levels.

Good Luck!
These are things my friends have done:

- Use notebooks where possible.
- Have 4 folders to file stuff into at home but take a separate one into school.
- Take notes on a laptop and have separate files for each subject.
- Bring a holepunch into school so that you can file stuff as soon as it is given to you.
- Use relatively small folders for each subject and when they fill up, file them in a larger folder for the subject; then fill it up again and again.

Also, I would advise against ICT - it is supposed to be quite difficult. Furthermore, for all the effort it requires, it is not viewed highly by many universities. You would be much better off doing something like Biology/Maths/Chem (goes well with Psychology) or History/RS (goes well with English Lit).

Hope I helped you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest