Best Alevels options for Psychology. Which is the best? Watch

actorboy1997
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey everyone, Ive now got a dilemma.

A college an hour away has offered me Alevels in English Literature, English Language, Sociology and Psychology.

However sixth form have offers me Alevels in History, Photography, Statistics and Philosophy&Ethics. I want to study Psychology at uni. What's the best option?
actorboy1997
Rep:
?
Anyone?
Jo890
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think the first option because if you don't do psychology A level then it will be a shock when you got to uni and the 4 subjects all go hand in hand with each other as some of the researchers overlap and the research methods are pretty similar in sociology and psychology

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jo890
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is also quite an essay based subject and so are the others so it depends what you are best at

Posted from TSR Mobile
actorboy1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jo890)
I think the first option because if you don't do psychology A level then it will be a shock when you got to uni and the 4 subjects all go hand in hand with each other as some of the researchers overlap and the research methods are pretty similar in sociology and psychology

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you not think that Eng Lang, Psychology, Eng Lit and Sociology are to similar? A very one sided group?
saibhandari
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want to study Psychology, I would say both options are useful. However, it is good to have Biology as well; have you not considered it?
I talked to a university admissions tutor and they said that a lot of students were surprised how scientific Psychology is at university.

The best combo if you ask me would be Biology, Chemistry, Sociology and Psychology.
That said, if it is not an option for you, then the second option is likely best, only because Statistics will be useful if you can do well in it.
Jo890
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be fair they're both good but do what you're best in because it would be better to get a's and b's in non math subjects than getting C's in the others the subjects will only help you in the course as you will know what to expect

Posted from TSR Mobile
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You don't need Psychology (because many schools dont offer it) but it will be helpful if you can take it. Bear in mind that Psychology is a science and you need subjects/interests that support that - some Unis will insist on 2 science subjects. You will also find Maths helpful - a great deal of work in Psychology uses statistics. Check the admissions requirements for specific courses at a range of different Universities.

You also need to check that any course you apply for is accredited by the British Psychological Society - without this you wont be able to use it in many professional settings : http://www.bps.org.uk/bpslegacy/ac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (280)
48.03%
No (67)
11.49%
I'm not old enough (236)
40.48%

Watched Threads