Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A few questions about a new blog. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me, I'm looking to start a blog to occupy myself over the remainder of the summer break. I have two ideas for what I'm going to post on them. Can you give me your opinions on which one might be more popular and what website/platform I should use and any tips for a newbie at blogging.

So the first one is a technology centred blog where I will post frequent articles about current news and new technology and give my views on them, primarily mobile phones but also other similar tech. I will also do the occasional in depth review of certain products. The blog will also include gaming and reviews about games and my opinions on them.

The second idea is one about sports, primarily football. I would post frequently about current news stories regarding football and my opinions on them. Also, match reviews for certain games and give my opinion on different things in the world of football.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's a tough one.

I think that football blogging may be a lesser-saturated area, making your chances of getting hits slightly higher.

Then again, the gaming/tech niche is a bit more focused and, likely, more interested in reading through content.

Either way, just have fun expressing your passions!

ReputationRep:
    Both are very popular areas, it means a large potential audience but also alot of other similar material online already.

Are you looking to start a free blog or one hosted from your own domain name?

Some of the most popular free ones are Wordpress.com and Blogger.com

Don't expect a huge number of visitors though. My friend just started a blog last week and has only had about 50 unique visitors so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Both are very popular areas, it means a large potential audience but also alot of other similar material online already.

Are you looking to start a free blog or one hosted from your own domain name?

Some of the most popular free ones are Wordpress.com and Blogger.com

Don't expect a huge number of visitors though. My friend just started a blog last week and has only had about 50 unique visitors so far.
    I'm looking to start a free blog. One of my main aims isn't really to get loads of people reading it, it's more just for myself to get writing a bit more and other people reading and giving feedback is a bonus to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedd)
    That's a tough one.

I think that football blogging may be a lesser-saturated area, making your chances of getting hits slightly higher.

Then again, the gaming/tech niche is a bit more focused and, likely, more interested in reading through content.

Either way, just have fun expressing your passions!
    Thank you

Do you have any tips on writing blogs and the frequency of my posts and anything else that might be useful to know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZSHNZ)
    Thank you

Do you have any tips on writing blogs and the frequency of my posts and anything else that might be useful to know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    None to give, specifics anyhow.

The blogging format is so brilliant because you don't have to stick to any criteria in writing style or frequency.

Of course, it is better to post as often as possible.

It would certainly help if you started sharing your content within those communities: through the TSR, Reddit etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.