Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've received a letter from my sixth form asking me to choose one of the following books to read before we go back:

23 Things They don't Tell You about Capitalism
    New Ideas from Dead Economists
    The Truth About Markets
    The Undercover Economist
    The Armchair Economist
    Naked Economics
    Everlasting Lightbulbs
    Freakonomics

I've read The Undercover Economist previously, and I liked SuperFreakonomics so I'll definitely go back and read the original, but which others would you recommend for someone with a reasonable grasp of economics? I wouldn't mind any off the list either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Economics isn't actually that difficult, there is no book that will help you that much. I have done AS economics (and should get about 90-95 UMS based on mocks and other stuff) and I have read Freakonomics, SuperFreakonomics and the Undercover Economist and I can tell you that they aren't actually helpful, you might find the interesting but they won't help. Don't bother reading a relevant book, just look at which one you find most interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Doran)
    Economics isn't actually that difficult, there is no book that will help you that much. I have done AS economics (and should get about 90-95 UMS based on mocks and other stuff) and I have read Freakonomics, SuperFreakonomics and the Undercover Economist and I can tell you that they aren't actually helpful, you might find the interesting but they won't help. Don't bother reading a relevant book, just look at which one you find most interesting.
    Thanks for the advice. I know there's no point learning everything before I start the course but it's probably a good idea to read around a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Most of those books are pretty pointless to be honest, especially freakonomics. Just read up on fiscal, monetary and supply side policies. May as well just read the textbook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    Thanks for the advice. I know there's no point learning everything before I start the course but it's probably a good idea to read around a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am not saying that there is no point in learning it (although there really isn't) but I am saying that those books will not teach you the course. AS Economics (I only know about AQA) is very very simplified because it is too difficult to do so much in 1 year. There will be the odd reference but nothing useful.
    It is a subject where is you revise a bit, the only important thing is exam technique because there is very little on the course that is difficult to understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Doran)
    I am not saying that there is no point in learning it (although there really isn't) but I am saying that those books will not teach you the course. AS Economics (I only know about AQA) is very very simplified because it is too difficult to do so much in 1 year. There will be the odd reference but nothing useful.
    It is a subject where is you revise a bit, the only important thing is exam technique because there is very little on the course that is difficult to understand.
    Fair enough. I'll see if I can get hold of a textbook.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've received a letter from my sixth form asking me to choose one of the following books to read before we go back:

23 Things They don't Tell You about Capitalism
    New Ideas from Dead Economists
    The Truth About Markets
    The Undercover Economist
    The Armchair Economist
    Naked Economics
    Everlasting Lightbulbs
    Freakonomics

I've read The Undercover Economist previously, and I liked SuperFreakonomics so I'll definitely go back and read the original, but which others would you recommend for someone with a reasonable grasp of economics? I wouldn't mind any off the list either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Should look at what Unis you want to go to, and look at there recommend list for economics.
    Freakonomics is heavliy mentioned in personal statements so read something that others havnt to try be different.

ReputationRep:
    Is it necessary to read a book on economics before starting AS level? It's just my sixth form have not even mentioned it and I wouldn't even know that people read these books for A Level if I didn't have TSR. I do think I want to study economics at uni, so would anyone recommend me to start reading up on it now? Or would I be okay to do so once I've started college?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. I'll see if I can get hold of a textbook.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would disagree; if you're looking to study economics at University now is a good time to read around and find areas of economics you personally find interesting. Currently doing econ at Cambridge and think one of the main reasons is the reading I did between AS and A2. Don't bother with a textbook you'll learn it all pretty quickly in lessons anyway; it'll just make them boring.

(Original post by aerohotchoc)
    Is it necessary to read a book on economics before starting AS level? It's just my sixth form have not even mentioned it and I wouldn't even know that people read these books for A Level if I didn't have TSR. I do think I want to study economics at uni, so would anyone recommend me to start reading up on it now? Or would I be okay to do so once I've started college?
    Wouldn't bother either, not many people do. Again, you'll learn it all in lessons, enjoy your holiday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttankzhang)

Wouldn't bother either, not many people do. Again, you'll learn it all in lessons, enjoy your holiday.
    Thank you for the advice. Just out of interest, to study economics at Cambridge, did you do much work experience or was it more about your knowledge and interest from the books etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aerohotchoc)
    Thank you for the advice. Just out of interest, to study economics at Cambridge, did you do much work experience or was it more about your knowledge and interest from the books etc?
    Bit of relevant-ish work experience (local building society) but didn't talk about it much in the interview, much more to do with societies I was in/ran, and specific interests in economics (at that time I think we discussed the Bottom Billion and poverty traps in depth, and also a bit about economics in Eastern Europe based off news reports and articles)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttankzhang)
    Bit of relevant-ish work experience (local building society) but didn't talk about it much in the interview, much more to do with societies I was in/ran, and specific interests in economics (at that time I think we discussed the Bottom Billion and poverty traps in depth, and also a bit about economics in Eastern Europe based off news reports and articles)
    Oh wow, at the moment I know nothing about stuff like that but once I start college I'll make sure I follow current affairs, especially relating to economics. And I shall bare this in mind once I start applying for unis! Thanks once again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.