Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am going on contract for the first time but not sure how much data to get.

I would only use it to check my emails daily, I use Twitter daily and I also read a handful of news articles daily and maybe visit some websites if I need to search something up that I can't wait to get home to do, I don't watch videos or anything like that, I watch youtube on my laptop.

Is 500mb enough for a month do you think?

ReputationRep:
    That should be enough imo. Although you can get 1GB for a decent price. Never watch YouTube on your phone, consumes a lot of MB. Also don't tether, again consumes a lot of MB.

ReputationRep:
    I once used 14Gb of data in a month , watched a lot of anime :P.

For emails and for basic surfing then it should be fine , but i'd say 1GB - just in case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconwrappedeggs)
    I am going on contract for the first time but not sure how much data to get.

I would only use it to check my emails daily, I use Twitter daily and I also read a handful of news articles daily and maybe visit some websites if I need to search something up that I can't wait to get home to do, I don't watch videos or anything like that, I watch youtube on my laptop.

Is 500mb enough for a month do you think?
    For casually internet use, yeah it's fine

Depending on what contract you're looking at though, just incase you're interested Virgin offer a full unlimited tariff for £15 a month (buy phone outright, then get contract).

I have it it's great only restrictions are no personal hotspot and no file sharing, but I've sat on a train to Scotland (about 8 hours) and streamed Netflix the whole way, get through 8 gb + a month... Just nice not having to worry about what you have left.

But yes, 500 is sufficient for Twitter and browsing, although if you are watching a lot of YouTube I would suggest 1gb

ReputationRep:
    I Would probably say go for 1GB just incase. Especially if you have a smartphone as it is easy to use a lot more data than what you expect (downloading apps, streaming youtube or spotify etc).

(Original post by AdamCee)
    For casually internet use, yeah it's fine

Depending on what contract you're looking at though, just incase you're interested Virgin offer a full unlimited tariff for £15 a month (buy phone outright, then get contract).

I have it it's great only restrictions are no personal hotspot and no file sharing, but I've sat on a train to Scotland (about 8 hours) and streamed Netflix the whole way, get through 8 gb + a month... Just nice not having to worry about what you have left.

But yes, 500 is sufficient for Twitter and browsing, although if you are watching a lot of YouTube I would suggest 1gb
    I believe Virgin have a fair usage policy of just a couple of gig now.
    Three are the closest network to offer properly unlimited data, but even they are starting to reduce what they are offering (old plans had unlimited personal hotspot too, but that is now 2GB for phone tarrifs or 4GB for sim only tariffs, and there is a soft cap of 1000GB).

ReputationRep:
    I pay £12.90 for unlimited data plan with 3. I couldn't imagine going back to the 500mb I had with o2. I always ran out of data with half a month and that was being ultra conservative with my data.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, should be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.