Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was I sexually abused as a child? Watch

I'm a bit scared of posting this..

I can't remember too much and nobody knows and I've always tried not to think about it, but a family member would make me go into his bed and as far as I can remember, he only used to grind... He once told me to go further but I didn't. I couldn't normally leave or say no because when I asked to leave he'd say no... But I've never been sure of what to think of it.

I'm wondering because I'm diagnosed with two mental disorders and I study Psychology and I've heard that one theory of how mental illnesses are caused are from repressed memories from childhood.

I've never thought that I was but I never really tried to think of it, but now I'm scared..

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry to say but you may of been as he told you to go further means he had the intend of doing something. However as you say you can't remember fully it may be hard to fully understand what they were trying to do but if every you say is fully ture I can say you may of been.

Posted from TSR Mobile

bump?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Well, if it had happened to me, I would say 'yes'.

I am not convinced by the 'mental illnesses are caused are from repressed memories from childhood' theory though.

What support are you getting?

ReputationRep:
    What you describe, on its own, without any further actions/activities, is sexual abuse. No adult should be grinding against a child in bed. I'm really sorry you've been through this and hope you get the support to process what happened. Whether or not it is linked to mental illnesses is another matter and I guess you'll never know

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by unprinted)
    Well, if it had happened to me, I would say 'yes'.

I am not convinced by the 'mental illnesses are caused are from repressed memories from childhood' theory though.

What support are you getting?
    I'm not receiving any support, I haven't ever told anybody. My partner knows that I was abused when I was young but that's all and he didn't react well, he ignored it and decided it's not something for us to talk about.

(Original post by whisper2012)
    What you describe, on its own, without any further actions/activities, is sexual abuse. No adult should be grinding against a child in bed. I'm really sorry you've been through this and hope you get the support to process what happened. Whether or not it is linked to mental illnesses is another matter and I guess you'll never know

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm too scared to ask for any support... It was a close family member and I don't want anything to happen to them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that they didn't do it / are not still doing it to someone else?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you were, and I'm very sorry. I was also, by a family member too. When I told my partner he ignored it too, I really want to talk to him about it but can't because he doesn't want to know. I am here for you if you need it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.