Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied for a job as a retoucher. But do these edits look really bad?

Thanks!

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2scotty)
    I applied for a job as a retoucher. But do these edits look really bad?

Thanks!
    cant really see any difference, except for cropping :/

ReputationRep:
    You need to focus more on details. Don't just chuck an image into Photoshop and fiddle about with the contrast, explore the software. You could try tutorials on Youtube, Lynda.com Teamtreehouse.com. They will help you explore the art form as well as the technical skills. Try using photos that are badly damaged or extremely badly taken to begin with to demonstrate your skill set. The final photo's look good but not enough difference to highlight your capabilities. Are you using layers, masks, non-destructive editing?

ReputationRep:
    The good thing is that your editing isn't *bad*, it just needs some progression. I went through an awful stage where I put wayy too much contrast into my images - thankfully that was several years ago now. Start shooting in raw rather than JPEG to give yourself much more latency to play with when editing - you can pull the sky back much more and push the shadows with raws.

This is an example of how far you can push a raw file while retaining quality - the stars and clouds and other highlights have been pulled up while retaining the original darks - original on the left:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.