Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

This year I took 4 AS levels - chemistry, physics, maths & further maths.

I have found the first 3 relatively straightforward to keep on top of, but I found further maths quite challenging, and it ended up taking a huge amount of my time outside of college so that I could reasonably keep up. This ended up 'starving' my other subjects out - for example, one week in maths I could get 100% on some homework, the next week it could be a C or D as I would have spent a lot of time going over further. I am by no means a superstar mathematician - I find that I'm slightly above average, and nothing more.

Come exam season, FP1 and M2 were giving me serious problems and I decided to work on them mainly so I could at least scrape a C in further. My first exam was FP1 and it seriously blew my confidence for the rest of the exam season, I couldn't believe how badly it went for me.

The week after FP1 I had my C1, C2, and unit 1 of chemistry and physics. In the past papers I was doing for these modules I was averaging at least 80% on them, so I did feel reasonably well prepared for them as I did at least the last 5 years worth of papers. Unfortunately the cluster**** with FP1 affected my confidence to such an extent that I started making really, really stupid mistakes on these exams, and given that the grade boundaries on these papers are high, I predict that I moved at least 2 grades down.

In addition I also took M2 in that week - it was by far the worst real exam I have ever taken in my life. I have never been in a situation where I had absolutely 0 idea about what to do. I couldn't even answer question 1 despite struggling through past papers (and usually getting a D at the end). I am expecting something like 10 UMS in this module.

The rest of my exams followed the same pattern - I just couldn't cope with them any more despite doing well on them in the past (again, 80% avg on past papers). M1, D1, unit 2 of chemistry and physics - all down the toilet due to the confidence issue.

I know some will ask - with 80% on past papers for maths, chemistry and physics, was I too lenient on myself? When I marked my papers, I followed a policy of 'if it's questionable whether I should get the mark, don't give the mark at all'.

I am aiming to apply for electronic engineering at uni next year, and I've looked at all the ones I want to go for (Southampton, Surrey, Bristol). They all ask for AAA, but this is now becoming a distant goal for me due to the poor exam season. Apart from results, I do other engineering related things (e.g. work experience, various projects), but after speaking to admissions tutors, they look at the grades first, then the statement if it's a borderline applicant (e.g. AAB instead of AAA).

Was I stupid to take further in the first place, in light of my maths skills, despite it being useful for the degree I wanted to take?

Given that my results are going to be piss poor now, what should I do given that I am aiming to apply for competitive courses and unis? Is there a way to spin a U in further maths to look more positive (I'm going to retake AS FM anyway)?

I am dreading having to retake year 12 as my parents will go absolutely ape, it wouldn't be a nice situation to be in. Would probably end up topping myself if it came to that.

The rather sad thing is, before all of this, I was on for pretty good grades (A-B) for everything but further, which was a C. It's pretty much all over now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ethernet)
    Hi guys,

This year I took 4 AS levels - chemistry, physics, maths & further maths.

I have found the first 3 relatively straightforward to keep on top of, but I found further maths quite challenging, and it ended up taking a huge amount of my time outside of college so that I could reasonably keep up. This ended up 'starving' my other subjects out - for example, one week in maths I could get 100% on some homework, the next week it could be a C or D as I would have spent a lot of time going over further. I am by no means a superstar mathematician - I find that I'm slightly above average, and nothing more.

Come exam season, FP1 and M2 were giving me serious problems and I decided to work on them mainly so I could at least scrape a C in further. My first exam was FP1 and it seriously blew my confidence for the rest of the exam season, I couldn't believe how badly it went for me.

The week after FP1 I had my C1, C2, and unit 1 of chemistry and physics. In the past papers I was doing for these modules I was averaging at least 80% on them, so I did feel reasonably well prepared for them as I did at least the last 5 years worth of papers. Unfortunately the cluster**** with FP1 affected my confidence to such an extent that I started making really, really stupid mistakes on these exams, and given that the grade boundaries on these papers are high, I predict that I moved at least 2 grades down.

In addition I also took M2 in that week - it was by far the worst real exam I have ever taken in my life. I have never been in a situation where I had absolutely 0 idea about what to do. I couldn't even answer question 1 despite struggling through past papers (and usually getting a D at the end). I am expecting something like 10 UMS in this module.

The rest of my exams followed the same pattern - I just couldn't cope with them any more despite doing well on them in the past (again, 80% avg on past papers). M1, D1, unit 2 of chemistry and physics - all down the toilet due to the confidence issue.

I know some will ask - with 80% on past papers for maths, chemistry and physics, was I too lenient on myself? When I marked my papers, I followed a policy of 'if it's questionable whether I should get the mark, don't give the mark at all'.

I am aiming to apply for electronic engineering at uni next year, and I've looked at all the ones I want to go for (Southampton, Surrey, Bristol). They all ask for AAA, but this is now becoming a distant goal for me due to the poor exam season. Apart from results, I do other engineering related things (e.g. work experience, various projects), but after speaking to admissions tutors, they look at the grades first, then the statement if it's a borderline applicant (e.g. AAB instead of AAA).

Was I stupid to take further in the first place, in light of my maths skills, despite it being useful for the degree I wanted to take?

Given that my results are going to be piss poor now, what should I do given that I am aiming to apply for competitive courses and unis? Is there a way to spin a U in further maths to look more positive (I'm going to retake AS FM anyway)?

I am dreading having to retake year 12 as my parents will go absolutely ape, it wouldn't be a nice situation to be in. Would probably end up topping myself if it came to that.

The rather sad thing is, before all of this, I was on for pretty good grades (A-B) for everything but further, which was a C. It's pretty much all over now.
    Heya, I'm going to put this in the sciences forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=51

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.