Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Just wondering if there is anyone else on here starting a PGCE Secondary course at Chester this September? I will be on the secondary science course doing the chemistry enhancement. Hope to hear from some others starting in September!

ReputationRep:
    I'm an undergraduate but always fascinated to know what pushes people to teaching as the stressful conditions and very low pay aren't attractive to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KindofGood)
    I'm an undergraduate but always fascinated to know what pushes people to teaching as the stressful conditions and very low pay aren't attractive to me.
    Well I can't really give you a definitive answer to that question, but I guess like most things in life it comes down to personal choices, preferences and motivational factors. Some people know that they want to teach from day one, others are pulled towards teaching after the have gained work experience in other fields. Most are primarily motivated by the desire to have a positive impact on the lives of children, their knowledge and understanding.

Personally I have chosen to embark on a teaching career after having worked in industry, gone back to university to complete a PhD and then worked in sales for a couple of years. It's true that some jobs pay better than others, and if pay is a critical factor for you then that is something you must consider, but all jobs that entail responsibility come with stress. However, from my experience at least, there are different types of stress. For example, I was happy to endure the stresses that came with writing journal publications or conducting arduous lab work for my PhD thesis, as I knew there was personal reward at the end of it all. Whereas I found the stresses of continually having to meet sales targets month on month very draining (despite the comparatively better pay), mainly because I never felt any sense of personal reward from making a corporation and myself a bit more money each month, just relief. It can take time to truly find out what motivates you. I thought it was money. It wasn't. Having spent a few weeks going into different schools I can see that it will be stressful job at times, but ultimately it offers the type of reward I am seeking in a career.

Good luck with your degree and future! Hope this has been of help in some way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patbrown86)
    Well I can't really give you a definitive answer to that question, but I guess like most things in life it comes down to personal choices, preferences and motivational factors. Some people know that they want to teach from day one, others are pulled towards teaching after the have gained work experience in other fields. Most are primarily motivated by the desire to have a positive impact on the lives of children, their knowledge and understanding.

Personally I have chosen to embark on a teaching career after having worked in industry, gone back to university to complete a PhD and then worked in sales for a couple of years. It's true that some jobs pay better than others, and if pay is a critical factor for you then that is something you must consider, but all jobs that entail responsibility come with stress. However, from my experience at least, there are different types of stress. For example, I was happy to endure the stresses that came with writing journal publications or conducting arduous lab work for my PhD thesis, as I knew there was personal reward at the end of it all. Whereas I found the stresses of continually having to meet sales targets month on month very draining (despite the comparatively better pay), mainly because I never felt any sense of personal reward from making a corporation and myself a bit more money each month, just relief. It can take time to truly find out what motivates you. I thought it was money. It wasn't. Having spent a few weeks going into different schools I can see that it will be stressful job at times, but ultimately it offers the type of reward I am seeking in a career.

Good luck with your degree and future! Hope this has been of help in some way.
    Well I guess it all depends on the school you get into. A bog standard comprehensive from 9 - 3 the kids will be very abusive and most likely be inappreciative of your time all supported by hostile parents and your days will be hell. A good school with well mannered students however is a very different experience I think.

Regardless, I don't think a classroom full of students who don't want to be there and refuse to participate is an environment I'd want to be in, they will consequently achieve poor grades at the blame of the teacher.

For me personally, there are better paid and more relaxed and respected professions someone of those qualifications can progress into.

Speaking as a comprehensive educated individual I know what it's like in the classrooms, teachers have lost it and had classroom breakdowns in front of everyone and use language such as '**** head' when frustrated by poor pupils.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KindofGood)
    Well I guess it all depends on the school you get into. A bog standard comprehensive from 9 - 3 the kids will be very abusive and most likely be inappreciative of your time all supported by hostile parents and your days will be hell. A good school with well mannered students however is a very different experience I think.

Regardless, I don't think a classroom full of students who don't want to be there and refuse to participate is an environment I'd want to be in, they will consequently achieve poor grades at the blame of the teacher.

For me personally, there are better paid and more relaxed and respected professions someone of those qualifications can progress into.

Speaking as a comprehensive educated individual I know what it's like in the classrooms, teachers have lost it and had classroom breakdowns in front of everyone and use language such as '**** head' when frustrated by poor pupils.
    You appear to have formed some strong opinions on the profession. Am I to take it that you are speaking from experience? Certainly, from the classroom experience I have gained to date (state & independent), there are differences in classroom environment between schools and even between classes/year groups. However, I am yet to come across a classroom where ALL the pupils are loathed to be there are refuse to participate. Of course it is true that you cannot change the opinion of every student about your subject, but personally I would still find great reward in making a difference to those that had displayed an interest. I think this is where teachers must be a little pragmatic in their approach.

I cannot dispute that there are better paid and more relaxed jobs available to graduates, however I do disagree with your inference that teaching is not a respected profession. Out of curiosity and if you don't mind me asking, what are you studying at university and what are your own career ambitions?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am starting in September too but in Drama. Have you been given any summer work yet and are you moving or already living there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milly92)
    Hello, I am starting in September too but in Drama. Have you been given any summer work yet and are you moving or already living there?
    Hi Milly, Yes I have been set a fair bit of reading to do over the summer by the course leader and I think I have a couple of essays to do before starting too. I am currently doing an online SKE course to bring me back up to speed on current curriculum content. Have you had the email regarding DBS application yet? I have been living just outside Chester for the past few years, it's a great place. Will you be moving to the area then? I sat in some drama classes on my experience placements and it does look like fun to teach!

ReputationRep:
    Hello sorry for the late reply! I'm guessing you got the DBS sorted? I'm living in Warrington. Are you starting on Wednesday too?

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting on Wednesday. I'm training to teach computer science and I really can't wait to start now.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, starting tomorrow, can't believe it has come around so quick.. Got the DBS sorted and the Update Service which was an extra £13, but I think we have to have this due to completing multiple placements. Looking forward to tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    My DBS still hasn't come through yet. I've done it and got the update service sorted, but no result yet.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.