Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I'll applying to Oxford for a Master's degree. The course I'll be applying for operates two deadlines: one in November and the other one in January. Would it make a difference to my application if I applied earlier/later? Studentship applications have to be submitted by the January deadline, so my only worry is that when I apply in January, there might be fewer places. However, I don't know if applying two months earlier would be risky.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

What do you think the risks would be by applying earlier?

Tbh as long as you apply before your course's funding and general deadline, I wouldn't worry about when you get the application in by :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Hey,

What do you think the risks would be by applying earlier?

Tbh as long as you apply before your course's funding and general deadline, I wouldn't worry about when you get the application in by :nah:
    Maybe the fact that you invest fewer time for preparation, unless you start early. It's just a bit confusing for me, these two deadlines. Compared to undergrad applications, there are fewer caveats or general rules for making an application, which means that writing a personal statement feels like, "What might they want from me?!" Maybe I'm taking things too seriously :ninja:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivanka)
    Maybe the fact that you invest fewer time for preparation, unless you start early. It's just a bit confusing for me, these two deadlines. Compared to undergrad applications, there are fewer caveats or general rules for making an application, which means that writing a personal statement feels like, "What might they want from me?!" Maybe I'm taking things too seriously :ninja:
    That is true - you do have to start quite early for a November application. When I was applying to Oxford for postgrad, I think I aimed for the November deadline, but it didn't happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivanka)
    Hiya,

I'll applying to Oxford for a Master's degree. The course I'll be applying for operates two deadlines: one in November and the other one in January. Would it make a difference to my application if I applied earlier/later? Studentship applications have to be submitted by the January deadline, so my only worry is that when I apply in January, there might be fewer places. However, I don't know if applying two months earlier would be risky.
    The January deadline is the one to aim for - no studentship/funding decisions are made until all of the applications are in at the end of January, although if you apply in November you might get confirmation of acceptance before then. The logic behind the two deadlines is for Oxford to compete with the Ivies in the US, whose postgrad deadlines are in the Autumn, in the minds of North American applicants. Therefore, it makes no sense to aim for the November deadline, you're better off using the extra two months to hone your application in the hopes of getting funding (although, for Masters courses, the odds are very very slim.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie.rew)
    The January deadline is the one to aim for - no studentship/funding decisions are made until all of the applications are in at the end of January, although if you apply in November you might get confirmation of acceptance before then. The logic behind the two deadlines is for Oxford to compete with the Ivies in the US, whose postgrad deadlines are in the Autumn, in the minds of North American applicants. Therefore, it makes no sense to aim for the November deadline, you're better off using the extra two months to hone your application in the hopes of getting funding (although, for Masters courses, the odds are very very slim.)
    I know I actually asked my parents if they would be happy to fund me all the way through my graduate studies. They agreed. This doesn't mean I won't try to get a scholarship (if I meet requirements), but it's nice to know that even if I don't get it, I won't be disqualified.

ReputationRep:
    If you need to apply for funding then you should apply by the first deadline as most Oxbridge funding (and Research Council funding at all Unis) closes in early January.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.