The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Fantasy Football League 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luke_Mckeown
right okay, so here's my team below:what do you think guys?i'm a little concerned that if there was an injury or suspension in my first team that i'd be a little screwed for points since my subs are basically as cheap as possible.overall, i'm happy with the team, got 0.5m to spare.i tried to find somebody better up front but tbh, until you get pretty expensive, the strikers are mehso i went for sturridge (obv) with 2 strikers who are likely to be involved in a large majority of their own "lesser" team's goals.
Have you ever done fantasy football before because it looks like a team from someone who hasn't even read the rules and has no knowledge whatsoever. You have no decent subs at all so if you ever get a double injury or even a tough game set up then you will either have crap players or take a points hit. The defence is just so expensive given what you are actually getting and until I saw the rest of the team I thought Vlaar was a joke. Some defenders get a few goals but realistically, you just want the cheapest route into a good teams defence via players like Debuchy or B.Davies. You have 2 strikers from poor teams (and I am a Hull fan) so you won't be getting many points up there. With strikers you pretty much get what you pay for and you have not payed what is needed. Alex Bruce will be lucky to make the matchday squad most weeks and Tiote will barely make it past the halfway line. It is alright to have 1 terrible cheap player but even then, you at least need him to play. Away from home Long will get a maximum of 4 goals all season and Remy will be in a very defence based team. Barkley will continue to be rotated in and out of the team whilst Gerrard will sit even deeper this season. Also Yaya will never be able to repeat last season and will be the most transferred out played after 3 weeks meaning you will lose a large part of your budget early on. To sum up, go back and read the rules and then start the team with 2 big hitters and some decent cheaper options and then fill in what is left, don't get to the last 4 players and have no money left and fill it in with that crap.
Reply 601
Original post by Alex Doran

posted my team before what do you think of it?
Original post by Qari
posted my team before what do you think of it?
Looks quite good. 3 very good strikers (actually the same as me ATM) The starting 11 is very strong but I would recommend saving maybe 1.5m ish to upgrade 2 of the subs. Maybe swap Tadic to Siggy to free up some funds. I would then swap Wisdom/Duff to a Palace defender (Mariappa or Ward depending on funds) as they have nearly perfect home away rotation with QPR so you can rotate Caulker and Palace defender to always have a cheap defender playing at home as they should both get a few clean sheets at home. Also swap Poyet to Albrighton or another 4.5m midfielder because I don't think he will be playing at all so you might as well have a player getting 2 points a week for the same price just in case you get lots of injuries or games moved (cups or weather.) If it is same price then might as well. (Forget that if Poyet is playing, I have very little knowledge of West Ham.)
Have you ever done fantasy football before because it looks like a team from someone who hasn't even read the rules and has no knowledge whatsoever. You have no decent subs at all so if you ever get a double injury or even a tough game set up then you will either have crap players or take a points hit. The defence is just so expensive given what you are actually getting and until I saw the rest of the team I thought Vlaar was a joke. Some defenders get a few goals but realistically, you just want the cheapest route into a good teams defence via players like Debuchy or B.Davies. You have 2 strikers from poor teams (and I am a Hull fan) so you won't be getting many points up there. With strikers you pretty much get what you pay for and you have not payed what is needed. Alex Bruce will be lucky to make the matchday squad most weeks and Tiote will barely make it past the halfway line. It is alright to have 1 terrible cheap player but even then, you at least need him to play. Away from home Long will get a maximum of 4 goals all season and Remy will be in a very defence based team. Barkley will continue to be rotated in and out of the team whilst Gerrard will sit even deeper this season. Also Yaya will never be able to repeat last season and will be the most transferred out played after 3 weeks meaning you will lose a large part of your budget early on. To sum up, go back and read the rules and then start the team with 2 big hitters and some decent cheaper options and then fill in what is left, don't get to the last 4 players and have no money left and fill it in with that crap.

as i mentioned above, this is my first real FF tryout so maybe lay off me or it won't end well.

i already voiced my concern over the subs (the main thing i'm looking to change)
with regards to my strikers, you're wrong.
as i said above, remy and long are both good shouts for players to have - both play for lesser clubs but are involved iin a great deal of their goals (long mainly assisting, remy mainly scoring). for their price, i'm very happy with them both.

with regards to gerrard, you forget that he takes all of liverpool's penalties and gets lots of assists from his long free kick set pieces.
i'm taking a chance on yaya and barkley is the guy i am to upgrade if i decide to lessen the quality of my defence.

lastly don't insult my intelligence; don't tell me to "read the rules again". i posted my team for advice on how to improve it before the season starts, not for you to basically tell me i'm an idiot and my team sucks.

you do realise if you and your amazing team don't win the TSR FF league, i'm coming for you.
good luck :smile:
Reply 604
Looks quite good. 3 very good strikers (actually the same as me ATM) The starting 11 is very strong but I would recommend saving maybe 1.5m ish to upgrade 2 of the subs. Maybe swap Tadic to Siggy to free up some funds. I would then swap Wisdom/Duff to a Palace defender (Mariappa or Ward depending on funds) as they have nearly perfect home away rotation with QPR so you can rotate Caulker and Palace defender to always have a cheap defender playing at home as they should both get a few clean sheets at home. Also swap Poyet to Albrighton or another 4.5m midfielder because I don't think he will be playing at all so you might as well have a player getting 2 points a week for the same price just in case you get lots of injuries or games moved (cups or weather.) If it is same price then might as well. (Forget that if Poyet is playing, I have very little knowledge of West Ham.)

ah right, thanks I will consider your advice

Fat Sam has said he won't be at first, and that his debut will probably be in the League Cup.

Apparently he was the best player on the pitch whenever he played for Charlton last season, so maybe he will get a run of games as injuries/suspensions start to pile up. There are a few 4.5 mids to watch (young players who could break into their respective first teams) and he is one of them.

as i mentioned above, this is my first real FF tryout so maybe lay off me or it won't end well.

I don't think he meant anything malicious! The main point of this thread before the season starts is for people to give advice to each other on how to improve their team, and he's doing just that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Guys what do you think about Bojan? is he worth a punt?
Original post by sr90
I don't think he meant anything malicious! The main point of this thread before the season starts is for people to give advice to each other on how to improve their team, and he's doing just that.

must be his time of the month.
he must be having a bad day.

nah man he did - he quoted me in another thread with a similar attitude too.
i wouldn't really call it advice; more so calling me an idiot.
he posted almost immediately after with advice to somebody else in a friendly manner, completely contrasting to his quote on me.

if he wants to mess, it's his funeral.
You slashed the cash in midfield quite a bit. Any injuries, rotation or suspensions and your team is in trouble. I would drop Silva for Eriksen, Sanchez for Ramsey and then improve on Nugent but that is just because I think 3-4-3 is always the way to go.

To be honest, Nugent will be a regular starter at Leicester I think and Yun should probably get reasonable game time as well , which is all I ask of my subs. Should be ok as long as I don't get too many injuries in one go otherwise I might have to wildcard/ take a points hit.

The reason I picked Nugent is that he scored 20 goals last season in the Championship and of the three promoted sides Leicester look like the strongest by quite a way - Burnley's goals are more likely to get split between Ings and Vokes ( once he's fit) and I can't see Remy impressing - elsewhere I can't find reliable strikers that cheap.

At 9 mil I think Silva is a bargain - one of the most impressive players in the league and only at a low price because he got injured last season - I reckon his value will rocket this season whilst I can't see Spurs doing brilliantly if I'm honest, I think they will lack motivation since they are very unlikely to make Champions League after all the spending done by the big clubs.

Also, I know Ramsey is cheaper than Sanchez but Sanchez is likely to be playing very attacking , possibly even as a striker if Giroud doesn't improve so I think he's worth the extra money.

Anyone got any opinions on Herrera and Markovic - I've got them because I've read in the press they've impressed but what will they be like as ff points scorers ?

Thanks for the advice though :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mccrae01
To be honest, Nugent will be a regular starter at Leicester I think and Yun should probably get reasonable game time as well , which is all I ask of my subs. Should be ok as long as I don't get too many injuries in one go otherwise I might have to wildcard/ take a points hit.The reason I picked Nugent is that he scored 20 goals last season in the Championship and of the three promoted sides Leicester look like the strongest by quite a way - Burnley's goals are more likely to get split between Ings and Vokes ( once he's fit) and I can't see Remy impressing - elsewhere I can't find reliable strikers that cheap.At 9 mil I think Silva is a bargain - one of the most impressive players in the league and only at a low price because he got injured last season - I reckon his value will rocket this season whilst I can't see Spurs doing brilliantly if I'm honest, I think they will lack motivation since they are very unlikely to make Champions League after all the spending done by the big clubs.Also, I know Ramsey is cheaper than Sanchez but Sanchez is likely to be playing very attacking , possibly even as a striker if Giroud doesn't improve so I think he's worth the extra money.Anyone got any opinions on Herrera and Markovic - I've got them because I've read in the press they've impressed but what will they be like as ff points scorers ?Thanks for the advice though :smile:
Herrera sounds like he will be in a midfield duo with either Fletcher or Cleverly until Carrick is back so he is unlikely to get many points with Rooney, RVP and Mata all ahead of him. He should be a decent pick if United switch to pretty much any other formation.Markovic might be good early on (if not for bad fixtures) whilst Lallana is injured if Liverpool play a 4-3-3 which ATM they have to unless they sign another good striker but even then, he has Coutinho and Sterling ahead of him. When Lallana is back, Markovic should be a sub mostly. Nugent could be a good shout but from what Redknapp has said, he will play quite a defensive side (possibly with 5 at the back) so Leicester might struggle for goals. Also they have very tough early fixtures so might set up VERY defensively early on, he won't get many chances. Also I though Silva was more than 9m, he is a very good player when fully fit who usually gets lots of points. Spurs have an easy start fixture wise so I think Eriksen or Lamela could be a must have, maybe start with one of them and then swap to Silva after 6/7 weeks when the fixtures turn around for both teams.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Dont usually like to check peoples past points, but if your going to be a condesending **** like that guy, then you need the history/ability to back it up.. otherwise you end up just looking like a tit.

+ Honestly no idea on yaya.. but its a similar problem with RVP, being so expensive, if they start to perform - its very hard to get them into your team, without taking point deductions..

exactly.
i'm a little surprised at the tone towards me from a small time poster.
he often comes in to the liverpool thread, posts absolute nonsense about how he thinks liverpool will struggle for some random reason, then leaves before he can be called up on it.

i wouldn't chance RVP tbh, and yeah i'm a little meh on yaya. clearly has talent and ability, but i think silva is just more consistent with his assists not to mention he is a few million cheaper.
still not using paragraphs...the thing about vlaar is that he costs 4.5m, almost the cheapest possible player.for the price alone i decided he was worth having.tell me a 4-4.5m first team defender who would be a better choice then.true, a lot goes on last season, but the beginning of a new campaign always promises new players to have the best year of their career. not saying that's gonna be long, but he also isn't a terrible player to have.
In my current team I have Ferdinand, Mariappa and Cameron who are all 4.5m and if it sounds like they are not going to play every game then I will change them but I can't judge that till after pre season. If at the end of the season Aston Villa have more clean sheets than any of QPR, Stoke or Palace then I will be very surprised. Long could have the best season of his career but unless Brucey changes his set up and style of play, he won't be scoring big.
In my current team I have Ferdinand, Mariappa and Cameron who are all 4.5m and if it sounds like they are not going to play every game then I will change them but I can't judge that till after pre season. If at the end of the season Aston Villa have more clean sheets than any of QPR, Stoke or Palace then I will be very surprised. Long could have the best season of his career but unless Brucey changes his set up and style of play, he won't be scoring big.

i would give QPR (and palace again) a good shout of having a good defensive record at home
i wanna keep one good defender in my side

so the question is, kompany or cahill?
or even terry instead since he scores a good amount of headers but would he be first team for the entire season?
i would give QPR (and palace again) a good shout of having a good defensive record at home
All 3 are in there for home/away rotation so they are only in my team when playing at home. QPR and Palace rotate well, Stoke and Swansea rotate well (I have Shelvey or Siggy). If Stoke don't have the best home defensive record in the bottom half I would be very surprised.
i wanna keep one good defender in my side

so the question is, kompany or cahill?
or even terry instead since he scores a good amount of headers but would he be first team for the entire season?

You want Baines because he takes penalties as your good defender or another full back at least so you get some assists , personally would avoid both of those two since I would imagine their quite pricey and probably won't score too highly. If you had to go for one over the other I would opt for Cahill simply because of Jose's parking the bus tactic that results in more clean sheets . ( DISCLAIMER : I scraped top 30 last season so am hardly an expert !)

By the way, if you're going to moan at him for paragraphing, I'd start using capital letters :smile:
You want Baines because he takes penalties as your good defender or another full back at least so you get some assists , personally would avoid both of those two since I would imagine their quite pricey and probably won't score too highly. If you had to go for one over the other I would opt for Cahill simply because of Jose's parking the bus tactic that results in more clean sheets . ( DISCLAIMER : I scraped top 30 last season so am hardly an expert !)

By the way, if you're going to moan at him for paragraphing, I'd start using capital letters :smile:

i already have baines :P
i'm keeping him regardless :smile:

well i have courtois in goal and cahill in defence
but i could change to terry/kompany in defence and hart in goal
should i go all out with chelsea or mix it and put hart in goal?
the thing about defence is that say chelsea have a bad day and let in goals, if you have 2/3 chelsea defenders it can screw you up bad.

haha, i suppose but i'm not talking from a grammar nazi point of view.
i'm just saying people are more likely to skip/scan the entire post if it's a block, but if in paragraphs like mine/yours that's unlikely to happen :smile:
already have baines :P
i'm keeping him regardless :smile:

well i have courtois in goal and cahill in defence
but i could change to terry/kompany in defence and hart in goal
should i go all out with chelsea or mix it and put hart in goal?
the thing about defence is that say chelsea have a bad day and let in goals, if you have 2/3 chelsea defenders it can screw you up bad.

haha, i suppose but i'm not talking from a grammar nazi point of view.
i'm just saying people are more likely to skip/scan the entire post if it's a block, but if in paragraphs like mine/yours that's unlikely to happen :smile:

Its a tough one to be honest, I would maybe leave it to see if City are able to get Mangala as he should tighten up the defence.
Its a tough one to be honest, I would maybe leave it to see if City are able to get Mangala as he should tighten up the defence.

i haven't even got any chelsea attackers, simply because i'm still not convinced with them.
chelsea's best aspect by far is defence so i might just stick with the goalie and cahill.

cahill and baines are my only good defenders - the rest are 4.5m i think

i don't really want 3 liverpool players (gerrard, sterling, sturridge), but i don;t know who to swap.
i don't wanna swap gerrard since his pens and assists = a lot of points
sterling is getting better and better and doesn't cost too much
and sturridge will be our main striker scoring most of our goals :/
Reply 619
aafc

Quick Reply