Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MA Dissertation Pass/Fail Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I have a question for anyone with experience doing MA dissertations that involve questionnaires/data collection with statistical analyses.

I'm in completion of mine in HR Management and I'm worried about failing because I'm struggling to collect enough questionnaire responses... My demographic is quite narrow as we have to focus on a specific industry and I've tried contacting several organisations for help with distribution but have yet to hear back from them. My supervisor expects me to collect around 100 responses and when I told her that I'm doubtful I would be able to, she just said that I need to distribute to 500 people - which is impossible for me because I don't even know 500 people in the industry.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever used small sample sizes (under 50 responses via questionnaires distributed online, for example) and managed to pass their dissertation? I asked my supervisor this question but she just said I need to distribute to many more people. I know there'll be a large margin of error when it comes to statistical analyses with such a small sample size but I'm honestly running out of options and the worry of failing is affecting my motivation and concentration to start my write up.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    hi,

I'm doing my dissertation based on statistics as well. Although, there is literature out there saying that a sample size of around 50 is enough it really depends on how much do you wand to generalise. I think that as long as you write it up wisely in methodology section it should be fine. It could have been a good idea to firstly find the organisation and then do the research but I guess it's too late now. What industry are you focusing on?

(Original post by Colourmesimple)
    Hey guys,

I have a question for anyone with experience doing MA dissertations that involve questionnaires/data collection with statistical analyses.

I'm in completion of mine in HR Management and I'm worried about failing because I'm struggling to collect enough questionnaire responses... My demographic is quite narrow as we have to focus on a specific industry and I've tried contacting several organisations for help with distribution but have yet to hear back from them. My supervisor expects me to collect around 100 responses and when I told her that I'm doubtful I would be able to, she just said that I need to distribute to 500 people - which is impossible for me because I don't even know 500 people in the industry.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever used small sample sizes (under 50 responses via questionnaires distributed online, for example) and managed to pass their dissertation? I asked my supervisor this question but she just said I need to distribute to many more people. I know there'll be a large margin of error when it comes to statistical analyses with such a small sample size but I'm honestly running out of options and the worry of failing is affecting my motivation and concentration to start my write up.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I also read that a sample of 50 is adequate as well. 50 is achievable for me as I still have about 3 weeks to collect data before I need to start analysing, but 100 seems very far off.

My research is based on mothers in the education sector so I've been asking people via Facebook groups, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, emailing schools etc. Sad thing is schools are nearly out for summer holidays so I'm hoping to get most of my responses from social media methods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colourmesimple)
    Yes, I also read that a sample of 50 is adequate as well. 50 is achievable for me as I still have about 3 weeks to collect data before I need to start analysing, but 100 seems very far off.

My research is based on mothers in the education sector so I've been asking people via Facebook groups, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, emailing schools etc. Sad thing is schools are nearly out for summer holidays so I'm hoping to get most of my responses from social media methods.
    Have you tried Mumsnet Talk? That's a very active web presence and if you explain your research and engage their interest in the right section of their discussion board, you might find them very useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Have you tried Mumsnet Talk? That's a very active web presence and if you explain your research and engage their interest in the right section of their discussion board, you might find them very useful.
    Haven't tried Mumsnet Talk but I've tried a similar forum like Netmums, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.