Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Building first gaming pc! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I was thinking of building my first ever gaming pc. My budget would be £400. Any computer gaming Einsteins recommend me some specs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You won't get anything too spectacular for that budget, simplest thing I can recommend would be to go on YouTube and look for "console killer" computers, should be plenty of vids out there that give builds for PCs at a similar price point to Xbone and P$4

ReputationRep:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcforme

Read the rules for build requests and get someone there to guide you. They know a lot about PC's :P

ReputationRep:
    I would strongly recommend spending at least £600 otherwise you will be replacing parts within the year

ReputationRep:
    not true

you can always upgrade the CPU, sell it on ebay when you want to upgrade.

I think a g3258 and cheap haswell motherboard is the way to go . It has massive upgrade potential too.

I used to be an amd fanboy, but switched to an intel 3570, last generation, but still much better than anything by amd.
    plus intel use less power. therefore less heat.

keep your current case and hdd if you have to save a bit of money. maybe keep the psu too.

therefore all you need is

ddr3 ram (keep the one you have if you already use ddr3) 25 - or not if currently using ddr3 4gb stick.
    any haswell LGA 1150 motherboard 35
    g3258 cpu chip. 50
    good but cheap cpu cooler 15
    operating system - not needed. clone hard drive to new one. Use the new hard drive. and then run the program SYSPREP on the new hard drive. and then switch out the motherboard and components, and it will be compatible

if you decide to stick with your current HDD, simply run SYSPREP on it before you swap out all your components..

gpu , any good one for 100 pounds would work.
    i prefer nvidia, lower PSU consumption. 100

possibly new psu - 35 pounds
    possibly new HDD or SSD, maybe save money and get a hybrid SSD maxtor - 50 pounds

possibly new pc monitor - 100 pounds.

you can transfer your current hdd to new motherboard without wiping any data, using SYSPREP
    you don't need to buy a new operating system, simply clone your hard drive, or just use the one you have now

keyboard/mouse/ psu cable/ cheap anyway, may as well keep the ones you have. not an issue. but you can forget them at the last minute.

that's only 300 - 400 pounds..... even less if you kept your case, psu, RAM, monitor and HDD.

when you become rich one day it will be much easier for you to upgrade to a 4790K without changing motherboard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattl93)
    I would strongly recommend spending at least £600 otherwise you will be replacing parts within the year
    only the CPU would need changing in reality.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    If getting G3528, probably not, especially with how well that OCs. Maybe going SLI or crossifre to try to make up for the compromise during the initial build.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    If getting G3528, probably not, especially with how well that OCs. Maybe going SLI or crossifre to try to make up for the compromise during the initial build.
    the truth is all a person needs is a new motherboard and chip and cpu cooler

everything after that is easy and can be upgraded piece by piece instead of buying 20 items at once
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    the truth is all a person needs is a new motherboard and chip and cpu cooler

everything after that is easy and can be upgraded piece by piece instead of buying 20 items at once
    But it would still be better to get that bit extra to begin with. New pentium is very good for budget builds and will just increase the power of the "console killer" systems. But it would still be better to get together that extra, say £100 to be able to get a £300 GPU over a £200, especially if you're then either selling that £200 to buy the 300 or throwing a second into the system.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily , there are plenty cheap psu's on the market that will just drop dead after a little while. Also the build quality of £400 wouldn't run most games on the market smoothly

ReputationRep:
    Oh great another kid building a pc

ReputationRep:
    what about a pre built machine . this is actually okay for the price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUAL-CORE-...item2ed3d120b4

another 80 for a graphics card. you can easily game on medium - high settings with it.

if you did want to upgrade, it would be easy to do too with the 1150 socket

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlaveEarth)
    Oh great another kid building a pc
    I feel pity for your sad life

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolidSnake1510)
    I feel pity for your sad life

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolidSnake1510)
    Hey man, I've had a look at this and have come up with the following build: CLICK for £410.

Fractal Design Core 1000 Case
    EVGA 500W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-H81M-H motherboard
    Intel i3 4150
    Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    8GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz
    1TB Western Digital Blue Hard Drive
    LiteOn DVD-ROM drive

That should all be compatible and play together nicely. As it's a Micro ATX case, I've opted for the GTX 750 Ti as it's a super efficient card - needing only a 400W PSU to run, so heat shouldn't be too much of an issue.

This system is (apparently) going to be capable of playing Battlefield 4 on HIGH at 1080p at a very reasonable framerate - as seen at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTCq_aHbhdI

Finally, this system will be nVidia Shadowplay compatible, so if you want to make videos of you playing games for YouTube, that's no problem and won't slow down your PC too much! :yep:

Edit: It would probably worth (if you can squeeze another tenner or so!) getting a rear exhaust fan for the case. That case uses a 92mm rear fan, so I'd highly recommend spending a little more money for a quieter fan as smaller fans need more RPMs to shift as much air as bigger fans and more RPMs usually equals more sound. THIS FAN would be a very welcome addition to your cooling solution.

Edit 2: Changed GFX details from Ultra to HIGH in comment around the BF4 YouTube link.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Hey man, I've had a look at this and have come up with the following build: CLICK for £410.

Fractal Design Core 1000 Case
    EVGA 500W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-H81M-H motherboard
    Intel i3 4150
    Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    8GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz
    1TB Western Digital Blue Hard Drive
    LiteOn DVD-ROM drive

That should all be compatible and play together nicely. As it's a Micro ATX case, I've opted for the GTX 750 Ti as it's a super efficient card - needing only a 400W PSU to run, so heat shouldn't be too much of an issue.

This system is (apparently) going to be capable of playing Battlefield 4 on Ultra at 1080p at a very reasonable framerate - as seen at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTCq_aHbhdI

Finally, this system will be nVidia Shadowplay compatible, so if you want to make videos of you playing games for YouTube, that's no problem and won't slow down your PC too much! :yep:
    Just wondering, why you went for that CPU rather than the new Pentium, given the good Pentium OC capabilities and price. I also take that video with a pinch of salt gioven I've seen other videos that would imply much lower frame rates, either that, or it's recorded at a lower resolution and renedered 1080p

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, why you went for that CPU rather than the new Pentium, given the good Pentium OC capabilities and price. I also take that video with a pinch of salt gioven I've seen other videos that would imply much lower frame rates, either that, or it's recorded at a lower resolution and renedered 1080p
    Well, I wouldn't OC a system in such a case with that size PSU really, so OC was never something I'd considered. The i3 out the box becnhmarks around 20% higher. Finally, that's only capable of 2 threads, whilst the i3 can do 4. This article seems to suggest that Battlefield 4 will run fine so long as you have 4 threads available. I can imagine that being the case for other games, so I opted i3.

That YT video was the first I found. Further investigation does make it seem that's a little optimistic, though it does seem to manager very playable framerates at 1080p on High settings on many games. Also, I don't know where I got Ultra from! That's running on High! :lol: I'll edit that!

ReputationRep:
    I would say you could build a good one for 420

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Well, I wouldn't OC a system in such a case with that size PSU really, so OC was never something I'd considered. The i3 out the box becnhmarks around 20% higher. Finally, that's only capable of 2 threads, whilst the i3 can do 4. This article seems to suggest that Battlefield 4 will run fine so long as you have 4 threads available. I can imagine that being the case for other games, so I opted i3.

That YT video was the first I found. Further investigation does make it seem that's a little optimistic, though it does seem to manager very playable framerates at 1080p on High settings on many games. Also, I don't know where I got Ultra from! That's running on High! :lol: I'll edit that!
    the Pentium OCs like a God, and given it's only got a TDP of 53W, if the fans are set up correctly it shouldn't be too much of a problem (definitely not if a case is used that will take a AIO cooler, but on this budget I think we can rule that out). Compared to 4790k it fares very well when Oc'd (comparable in all things bar BF4, where the difference is moe than halves). Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evXp...E6Xw-yeJA0Tunw

High seems reasonable on most games given how few things actually make use of the PC power these days.

ReputationRep:
    the Pentium OCs like a God, and given it's only got a TDP of 53W, if the fans are set up correctly it shouldn't be too much of a problem (definitely not if a case is used that will take a AIO cooler, but on this budget I think we can rule that out). Compared to 4790k it fares very well when Oc'd (comparable in all things bar BF4, where the difference is moe than halves). Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evXp...E6Xw-yeJA0Tunw

High seems reasonable on most games given how few things actually make use of the PC power these days.
    Aye, I've read as much on the net too! I think that Pentium is an ideal media machine CPU for sure. I'd normally go for threads over clock speed for a gaming rig, but that's me.

Aye, I think a £420 PC running at 1080p, 60fps, high is pretty good indeed! Certainly puts the Xbox One to utter shame! :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.