Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many more years does it take to get a PhD?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering....

ReputationRep:
    Typically it takes 3-4 years to get a PhD. I have heard of some people (particularly in lab sciences) running into a 5th year, but a lot of departments are quite strict about you finishing in 4, plus most PhD funding I'm familiar with (I'm in the humanities), is only for 3 years, so there really is an incentive to finish quickly.

Don't forget that some subjects will expect you to have a Master's first, so that's an extra year before you even begin the PhD. That is quite subject & university-specific though.

ReputationRep:
    Typically 3 years like the person above has said but 4 years is becoming more prevalent, I've never seen a 5 year one but it doesn't surprise me. Also like the above person said the majority (if not all) PhDs require a previous Masters, these typically last for a year, sometimes 2. Though the longest on I have seen was either 3 or 4 years cannot remember which I just remember being shocked.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcusroye98)
    Just wondering....
    My PhD will be 3 years of lab work, with up to 1 year of writing up time at the end. If I don't submit within the 4 years without good reason, then you fail automatically (bit harsh).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gutenberg)
    Typically it takes 3-4 years to get a PhD. I have heard of some people (particularly in lab sciences) running into a 5th year, but a lot of departments are quite strict about you finishing in 4, plus most PhD funding I'm familiar with (I'm in the humanities), is only for 3 years, so there really is an incentive to finish quickly.

Don't forget that some subjects will expect you to have a Master's first, so that's an extra year before you even begin the PhD. That is quite subject & university-specific though.
    Thanks!
    Im just about to start A-levels so i was just wondering thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.