Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Plastic Surgery worth it? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So my friend recently got a chin implant, he used to have a weak chin. The difference is subtle but has made a huge difference on his life. He's told me everything [in fact told me when he went for consultation and booked his procedure] because we both have, for a long time, discussed plans on how to improve our lives and make them better in terms of cosmetics. He hasn't told anyone else in our social circle and everyone has claimed that he looks a little different but they can't put their finger on what it is.

He now has girls approaching him in clubs/bar/parties, men are more friendlier to him and has recently got a promotion at work [he's two years older than I am, I just recently graduated and should be working from September in a grad job]. Obviously it might not be all down to a stronger chin but I'm sure that has played a big part in it. Maybe it could be due to the confidence boost he has due to his enhancement but even in this case I'd say the procedure is the direct result of it.

He now says he will be going for mandibular implants.

So I've now been looking and recently went in for a consulation for a chin implant. I was very impressed with what the surgeon said he could do. I've now searched up plastic surgery for the main areas I need: Hair transplant, chin implant, Rhinoplasty [nose job] and lip reduction. It totals to about £40k all in all [including flights to the countries, I want to make sure I get it done by the best professionals available in the respective areas].

This will mean that once I start working I will have to live with my parents and it'll take at least 4-5 years of saving up. I'm really serious about this and have already everything planned out and my expenses once I start working. My parents already laugh at me and think I'm pathetic when I asked if they would chip in and I wouldn't dare ask any relatives about it.

So anyone done plastic surgery and also seen their lives do a 360? Let's be honest the face is absolutely the most important thing in your life: Everyone judges you by your face. If my friend's life changed so much [in terms of social life, sex life and career] through a small fix imagine what mine could do with those fixes.

I was pretty much a recluse and a shut in at uni and didn't make many friends because I was so insecure about my face. Literally no guys ever approached me to go out with them to parties, events or any social events and no girls ever gave me ANY interest [I am 6'3'', 88kg with a good body, ripped, six pack etc]. In fact two memories which are vivid to me from university is one time a guy laughed at me and called me ugly during a lecture and another time when I sat in lecture next to a girl [didn't sit next to her to chat her up or anything but just because I preferred those seats] and she and her friend immediately got up and moved away. I was BULLIED at university because of something I don't have in control. When's the last time you heard of someone getting bullied at university?

So I only have one hope left and that's plastic surgery. I will also be going for cheek implants and mandibular implants if the ones I have planned turn out good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by what is this)
    So my friend recently got a chin implant, he used to have a weak chin. The difference is subtle but has made a huge difference on his life. He's told me everything [in fact told me when he went for consultation and booked his procedure] because we both have, for a long time, discussed plans on how to improve our lives and make them better in terms of cosmetics. He hasn't told anyone else in our social circle and everyone has claimed that he looks a little different but they can't put their finger on what it is.

He now has girls approaching him in clubs/bar/parties, men are more friendlier to him and has recently got a promotion at work [he's two years older than I am, I just recently graduated and should be working from September in a grad job]. Obviously it might not be all down to a stronger chin but I'm sure that has played a big part in it. Maybe it could be due to the confidence boost he has due to his enhancement but even in this case I'd say the procedure is the direct result of it.

He now says he will be going for mandibular implants.

So I've now been looking and recently went in for a consulation for a chin implant. I was very impressed with what the surgeon said he could do. I've now searched up plastic surgery for the main areas I need: Hair transplant, chin implant, Rhinoplasty [nose job] and lip reduction. It totals to about £40k all in all [including flights to the countries, I want to make sure I get it done by the best professionals available in the respective areas].

This will mean that once I start working I will have to live with my parents and it'll take at least 4-5 years of saving up. I'm really serious about this and have already everything planned out and my expenses once I start working. My parents already laugh at me and think I'm pathetic when I asked if they would chip in and I wouldn't dare ask any relatives about it.

So anyone done plastic surgery and also seen their lives do a 360? Let's be honest the face is absolutely the most important thing in your life: Everyone judges you by your face. If my friend's life changed so much [in terms of social life, sex life and career] through a small fix imagine what mine could do with those fixes.

I was pretty much a recluse and a shut in at uni and didn't make many friends because I was so insecure about my face. Literally no guys ever approached me to go out with them to parties, events or any social events and no girls ever gave me ANY interest [I am 6'3'', 88kg with a good body, ripped, six pack etc]. In fact two memories which are vivid to me from university is one time a guy laughed at me and called me ugly during a lecture and another time when I sat in lecture next to a girl [didn't sit next to her to chat her up or anything but just because I preferred those seats] and she and her friend immediately got up and moved away. I was BULLIED at university because of something I don't have in control. When's the last time you heard of someone getting bullied at university?

So I only have one hope left and that's plastic surgery. I will also be going for cheek implants and mandibular implants if the ones I have planned turn out good.
    I think you need to get off sluthate/puahate and post a pic

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for slack jawed brahs.

Iron chin master race checking in.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like, while your friend's alteration was definitely subtle, all the work you want done wouldn't be, and you'd come out with a very fake-looking face, which isn't attractive (google the human ken doll guy).

Also, it's very easy to become addicted to plastic surgery, particularly when you place as much importance on looks (and having 'perfect' ones) as you seem to. You've already mentioned what else you would have done if the rest went well - it probably wouldn't ever end and you'd end up like the bride of wildenstein.

Please consider this all very carefully.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You dont need these surgeries. You want them... and we all have things we wish to improve. Like the poster above said, you can easily get addicted to plastic surgery. I have nothing against it, I think you should do whatever makes you happy in life but you need to think about it carefully before making any decisions.

It's a lot of money and if you're only doing this to be able to have more success with girls or so you can make more friends then maybe your reasons need to be reevaluated. Maybe the problem at university wasn't how you looked but more about your own attitude. Either way, plastic surgery isn't a quick fix. You'll be spending a lot of money and more importantly going under the knife, and there are a lot of risks associated with that. Think very carefully about it.

ReputationRep:
    Post a picture (or PM one to me if you like), I'm sure you can't look that bad?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, plastic surgery is always worthy it friend, if you can afford it and like me are very superficial and base your self worthy on how you look.

ReputationRep:
    I usually don't see anything wrong with people having a cosmetic procedure if they really want it and can afford it. I've considered rhinoplasty because i really dislike my nose and it's the centre of my face, I can't hide it. However, I think you're going so overboard and that's more unattractive than the physical faults that you think that you have.

ReputationRep:
    9/10 facial aesthetics checking in (srs) feelsgoodman

ReputationRep:
    I am family friends with a top facial plastic surgeon in NYC + have had rhinoplasty and I think your friend is exaggerating a bit. Your life might change slightly, people might think you are somewhat more attractive, but no one can go from Steve Buscemi to Leo DiCaprio through plastic surgery. Not that you look like him. It's important to have realistic goals. All through the process, that is what my surgeon stressed the most. I can't think my new nose will give me the perfect boyfriend or the job at Google even though that's what I want. Plastic surgery is about making you happy. It's about looking in the mirror and not being irritated by the little bump in your nose, or whatever you don't like about your chin. Plastic surgery is there to increase your confidence in yourself, and nothing more. I think your friend just had good luck

By the way, I'm sure you look really handsome and maybe you just haven't met the right people yet But I think you totally will!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musie Suzie)
    Sounds like, while your friend's alteration was definitely subtle, all the work you want done wouldn't be, and you'd come out with a very fake-looking face, which isn't attractive (google the human ken doll guy).
    Like I said I won't be having all these surgeries at once. I will do it one by one [probably starting with the hair transplant] by the best surgeons in the world. So I will see, I'll stop if any start giving me that fake look/ The surgeries I am having are very unlikely to give me a plastic look as I'm not messing with my skin but rather with my features. For my nose it's actually a masculine and big nose which I like it's just that the tip is bulbous, I just want to get rid of that. The lip reduction has no plastic involved just reduction which isn't that much of a complicated procedure.

The only part where there's plastic involved is the chin implant.

(Original post by bronzeaward)
    It's a lot of money and if you're only doing this to be able to have more success with girls or so you can make more friends then maybe your reasons need to be reevaluated.
    How? Having a healthy social and sex life is key to mental stability and happiness. It's proven again and again.
    Maybe the problem at university wasn't how you looked but more about your own attitude.
    How though? Someone who I don't know at all simple doesn't call me ugly and other stuff because of my attitude. Ffs this is a guy who I had never interacted with before. Same with the girls who moved away immediately once I sat near them.
    Either way, plastic surgery isn't a quick fix. You'll be spending a lot of money and more importantly going under the knife, and there are a lot of risks associated with that. Think very carefully about it.
    Thanks I have thought out very carefully about this and still probably will. I know the risks associated but to be honest I'd rather die risk trying to succeed than to live a mediocre life with safety.
    (Original post by cookie195)
    I am family friends with a top facial plastic surgeon in NYC + have had rhinoplasty and I think your friend is exaggerating a bit. Your life might change slightly, people might think you are somewhat more attractive, but no one can go from Steve Buscemi to Leo DiCaprio through plastic surgery. Not that you look like him. It's important to have realistic goals. All through the process, that is what my surgeon stressed the most. I can't think my new nose will give me the perfect boyfriend or the job at Google even though that's what I want. Plastic surgery is about making you happy. It's about looking in the mirror and not being irritated by the little bump in your nose, or whatever you don't like about your chin. Plastic surgery is there to increase your confidence in yourself, and nothing more. I think your friend just had good luck

By the way, I'm sure you look really handsome and maybe you just haven't met the right people yet But I think you totally will!
    Are you a girl? If so WTF, most men probably still will like to get with you despite any deficiencies with your nose. The problem with me is that not even average and below average girls give me attention despite having everything that I can control in my life sorted [I'm tall, ripped, graduated from a top uni and already got a grad job sorted].

Men don't even befriend me because of my messed up face, but most girls still befriend any girl basically.

I'm not obviously doing this ONLY for the girls or a good social life [though they are very big factors] it's for self fulfilment I want to be genuinely pleased when I see myself in the mirror not be disgusted with myself.

ReputationRep:
    Are you a girl? If so WTF, most men probably still will like to get with you despite any deficiencies with your nose. The problem with me is that not even average and below average girls give me attention despite having everything that I can control in my life sorted [I'm tall, ripped, graduated from a top uni and already got a grad job sorted].

Men don't even befriend me because of my messed up face, but most girls still befriend any girl basically.

I'm not obviously doing this ONLY for the girls or a good social life [though they are very big factors] it's for self fulfilment I want to be genuinely pleased when I see myself in the mirror not be disgusted with myself.
    As I said, the point of plastic surgery is for YOU to be happy with what you see in the mirror. So like yeah I could obviously get guys even with a small bump on my nose, but I did it for /me/. If you think these changes would make you happy, there's really no point in asking for feedback from other people. I don't know if it's because you're upset about the position you're in or this is just a bad side of you or what but you don't seem to be a people person and that could definitely be a factor. I study Comp Sci and even though I'm really girly I still make friends with guys who are "nerdy," ugly or weird if they are nice and kind. I was about to go out with a "perfect" rich, attractive guy at Cambridge but there comes a point when you just can't stand their personality. Money and looks can only get you so far, especially with girls who already have money and/or looks. If you look great after the surgeries try being a better listener, or more caring when you start meeting people again. I hope you're happy with your new face and I hope the recovery isn't too bad! Make sure your parents are down with all the help they need to give you after the surgeries. It's so important to have your family there to support you Make sure to see it as an opportunity for growth more than anything else. Don't dwell on or be bitter about the bad stuff from the past because you're going to look so handsome

ReputationRep:
    Plastic surgery sometimes becomes dangerous we should be properly get knowledge about it and then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    statistically people who get plastic surgery are less satisfied with their final looks and will go for more, it can become very addictive and whilst yes can be a wonderful life altering thing, the dangers, risks and downsides need to be looked at

ReputationRep:
    The question is, do you really want to risk blowing 40k on cosmetic procedures when it could be invested into something more I don't know... Productive?

I don't think there's a need for you to go through all these surgeries. Maybe you lack self confidence? There's always going to be a guy with a stronger jawline etc than you and unless you're truly happy with yourself, these surgeries will only provide temporary confidence because you'll always find something else you want to alter. I wish you good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.