The Student Room Group

Have I used Commas correctly?

1) John wanted to make fairy cakes, although he had limited ingredients. He went to the shops, where he would find good quality ingredients for his tasty cake. John bought sugar, flour, icing, eggs and chocolate sprinkles to complete his shopping spree. The day got longer; John ended up eating all of the cakes, as he was extremely bored.

2) John ran in fear, his heart sunk, trembling with extreme, agonising terror for his life. He escaped the brutal shooting, and made it to safety. As long as he was safe, he did not care who else may have been hurt.

3) John, the doctor, made me take a test. Shockingly I was clear, and the lump I found on my knee was a false alarm.

4) However, laura headed back to the flat in a hurry, which made her feel tired and worn out, so she took a long, well deserved nap on the sofa.

I feel like i have lost the plot, and don't feel confident using commas. Correct me if you spot any errors. I'm starting university so I'm improving my writing skills. I will appreciate some feedback of experienced student who are punctuation pros!
How I remember it is you can use a comma in instances such as doing a list or where you can swap the pre-sentence before and after a comma and it would still make sense.

For instance, I want to go home.
I want to go home, for instance.

or listing such as I want a book, pen, laptop and a £5 Tesco voucher.

There's other instances they can be used for, I think.
Thanks karim appreciate it dude.

Quick Reply