Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Mock GSCE's :'/ Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello I have recently got my grades back from my Year 10 Mocks and don't quite understand whether I've done "Well" or what they will mean in my college life. First of all I am not happy about them and I have a report coming soon (a week or 2). That's why I came here to get some advice and too ease my mind

(I get depressed and hurt about bad grades easily a D gives me a heart attack...)

First of all my results are these: Please bare in mind I haven't revised for these never did, and I know that was a huge mistake I guess I learnt a lesson.

Geography:A

I.T: A*

English: C (Not finished) I have very bad time management, the test was out of 2 essay questions, I nearly got full marks on the first but I didn't manage to get to the second one, I was panicking

Maths (One of my weak points): D Although the teacher did say that half of the stuff from page 15+ we wouldn't know (A+) Highest was a B...

Science: D I am not at the least worried, as I know what I did wrong and can easily do a bit of revision and boost that to a B/A in no time.

Sports Science: C I got a A* Last time 2 marks off full, same principle with Science I know what to do and how to fix it.

Spanish: E Seriously I was on C's at the start but now things like the Gerund are in it, I cannot remember all of the stuff I'm taught and my Dad is going to be angry :/ I had talks with my teacher on how to improve and i'm doing tutoring with her in Year 11.

That's all of my grades, I was extremely sad when I saw those D's and furthermore i'm asking you students to tell me if what my teacher said is true and if they are all so bad. My teacher said that those grades will raise by 2 when the new school system is in place (I come from a very bad school). She said this as I read that all mocks are usually harder then the actual thing. However I'm seriously revising next year I even asked my parents to take distractions away in January. Also my last Mock exam results were really good (when I didn't have supplies for months) they were all A's/B's hence why my school predicts that I have to get A's/A*'s at the end of the year 11, and this prediction has gotten my parents thinking that I should be able to get B/A's with no sweat in Year 10!!!

How you can help?

First of all I want to know how to revise for Spanish, I know what to do with all my other subjects but I honestly cannot do Spanish, I picked it as I need to get the E-BAC qualification to get into my line of work. I also need to know how to get into revising I don't want to put too much load on my self. Another thing I want to know is your grades in Year 10 and whether you revised or not or if you was a parent and your child got these grades would you be happy with them?. That's about it, and just to add some more detail about my self I'm 15 and a male, I'm a bit lazy and I hate to say it but I'm, sensitive... I was also Gifted and Talented for all my life except in this year due to rotation. One last thing is that my teachers really didn't seem to care about the D they was going on like it was normal! Is it? They mostly said that I shouldn't worry and this is just a wake up call to get the new system in order! But I really cannot see my parents believing this... I'm White and Black Caribbean by the way so yeah my black Dad is very strict (as to be expected).

I hope you can give me some advice, comparisons or revision tips all would be hugely help me! P.S I hope you can forgive me for my bad structure and grammar, I was in a rush

ReputationRep:
    So my school did mocks at the beginning of year 11 (bit late but oh well). I'm waiting for my results now. Seriously don't worry about mock results. I read somewhere a student's grades improve by on average 1.5 grades in their actual exam. In the real thing you'll be more prepared! In my mocks I got 7 A*s and 1 A but i also got a C. That was English Language :/. My average before the exam was 98% on coursework, but I REALLY struggled on the exam paper. I just hated writing informally, so my teacher helped me with that. My average of an A* (coursework) dropped to a B when the exam was counted. I did after school sessions once a week (I also had to juggle with Additional Maths and Latin!). Devote as much time as you can to it. Exam technique is so important. You may know everything, but if your technique is bad you won't get a good grade. I was worried I wouldn't improve or even get worse! And you need a C just to go to college! With mocks, most people didn't care. I knew about 4 people who actually revised. The doom of the real thing will set in, don't worry. Don't feel pressured either!
    About the E-bac. They introduced it to my school when I was year 9. They wanted our year to be the first to take it. Problem is, people were forced into doing a language and ended up failing. The school even dropped the E-bac after 2 years because it was pointless! Your choice of exams isn't really considered by further education, like unis and colleges, its your grades (as long as you take sensible academic options). If you really struggle with languages, don't do it. I know people who went seriously downhill when exams came and just couldn't pass with French or Spanish. Also, I had only maybe 10 exams for the mocks, but you will have what feels like a million for the real exams (I had 22), so consider if it will be too much work to take on a subject.
    My French teacher told us to watch French films or read french articles to grasp the basics, and get a vocab list and go through it. This will really improve your grade.

ReputationRep:
    Ive finished GCSE's.
    For me, Spanish was the hardest GCSE. The only way to revise is to make flash cards of loads of different words and just memorise them!
    Honestly, I got C's and D's in mocks two or three weeks before exams. then revised and did a paper and got it up to an A. You have plenty of time!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, this took a lot of pressure away to hear some personal experience . I'm going to try and get the papers back and hopefully get some revision on them in 6 weeks so I don't have to learn stuff from last year, again thanks a bunch
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

(Original post by Noxus)
    Hello I have recently got my grades back from my Year 10 Mocks and don't quite understand whether I've done "Well" or what they will mean in my college life. First of all I am not happy about them and I have a report coming soon (a week or 2). That's why I came here to get some advice and too ease my mind

(I get depressed and hurt about bad grades easily a D gives me a heart attack...)

First of all my results are these: Please bare in mind I haven't revised for these never did, and I know that was a huge mistake I guess I learnt a lesson.

English: C (Not finished) I have very bad time management, the test was out of 2 essay questions, I nearly got full marks on the first but I didn't manage to get to the second one, I was panicking

Maths (One of my weak points): D Although the teacher did say that half of the stuff from page 15+ we wouldn't know (A+) Highest was a B...

Science: D I am not at the least worried, as I know what I did wrong and can easily do a bit of revision and boost that to a B/A in no time.

Sports Science: C I got a A* Last time 2 marks off full, same principle with Science I know what to do and how to fix it.

Spanish: E Seriously I was on C's at the start but now things like the Gerund are in it, I cannot remember all of the stuff I'm taught and my Dad is going to be angry :/ I had talks with my teacher on how to improve and i'm doing tutoring with her in Year 11.

That's all of my grades, I was extremely sad when I saw those D's and furthermore i'm asking you students to tell me if what my teacher said is true and if they are all so bad. My teacher said that those grades will raise by 2 when the new school system is in place (I come from a very bad school). She said this as I read that all mocks are usually harder then the actual thing. However I'm seriously revising next year I even asked my parents to take distractions away in January. Also my last Mock exam results were really good (when I didn't have supplies for months) they were all A's/B's hence why my school predicts that I have to get A's/A*'s at the end of the year 11, and this prediction has gotten my parents thinking that I should be able to get B/A's with no sweat in Year 10!!!

How you can help?

First of all I want to know how to revise for Spanish, I know what to do with all my other subjects but I honestly cannot do Spanish, I picked it as I need to get the E-BAC qualification to get into my line of work. I also need to know how to get into revising I don't want to put too much load on my self. Another thing I want to know is your grades in Year 10 and whether you revised or not or if you was a parent and your child got these grades would you be happy with them?. That's about it, and just to add some more detail about my self I'm 15 and a male, I'm a bit lazy and I hate to say it but I'm, sensitive... I was also Gifted and Talented for all my life except in this year due to rotation. One last thing is that my teachers really didn't seem to care about the D they was going on like it was normal! Is it? They mostly said that I shouldn't worry and this is just a wake up call to get the new system in order! But I really cannot see my parents believing this... I'm White and Black Caribbean by the way so yeah my black Dad is very strict (as to be expected).

I hope you can give me some advice, comparisons or revision tips all would be hugely help me! P.S I hope you can forgive me for my bad structure and grammar, I was in a rush
    I didn't revise as much as I should have for my mocks too, got my results, I ended up with:
    Geography - D (did not revise)
    PE - D (did not revise)
    Maths - B (revised some, didn't learn a few topics)
    Chemistry - B (revise some)
    Biology - B (mark of an A did revise but not completely)
    Physics - B (a few marks off A :eek: I thought I had failed badly, did not revise)
    RE - A (looked over some past papers)
    The other subjects I had external exams in so no mocks or I haven't found out results yet..

Teachers at my school also said the same thing about the moving two grades up :yep: So, I'm sure we'll both get B/A/A*s We have another mock in December of y11 and I'm hoping to revise properly and see how much I've progressed. Glad not revising for these mocks taught you a lesson, better now than the real exams or the mocks in y11 I have South Asian parents, so quite strict too, I tried to avoid them seeing my report + grades but they saw, didn't say much though weirdly .. Hoping I can show them improvement in my y11 mocks but then they might think too much of me for my real exams... I guess with your parents you can promise to do better and then show them you're studying hard, if they're still bothered by your results then that's their problem, they should be supporting you and not putting you down though that's how strict parents are like :rolleyes: I just ignore mine mostly when they talk about this stuff

So, you're not alone with the not so good grades, strict parents, lazy attitude :five:

Maths - Get a revision guide (CGP are good) or any your maths teachers recommend. Also recommend getting MathsWatch, it's really good I know many others who have used it and they thought the same If those methods don't work out, get a maths tutor, extra help from maths teacher? Some other sites you could use are JustMaths, Examsolutions and www.m4ths.com. Haven't use them before so not sure if they are any good. Also, you said yourself that you didn't learn half the stuff so having learned that and improving up two grades I think you can get A :yep:

English - If you manage your time effectively and practice essay writing then I'm sure you can do well

Spanish - Well, you'll have tutoring from your Spanish teacher so hopefully that will help If you put motivation and detirmination into doing better then I'm sure you will! Ask what your teacher would recommend so that you could improve, get help from friends/others, use flashcards or something to help you memorise key info.

You shouldn't revise too much early on as you may lose motivation when it comes to the actual thing. Should revise too less though, I'm sure you know why Here's what I'm planning to do:
    -I'm planning to do a bit of revision in holidays (though that was really homework set by teachers ) Making revision notes for some subjects but not revising them is all I wanted to do really.. Maybe you could do that to?
    -Then in September, I can start fresh, concentrate, be ahead of studies maybe
    -In late October or maybe November, I'll revise for mocks
    - After mocks, I'm taking a break from the Christmas holidays to Feb half term
    -Then I may start revising a little for the real exams and gradually increase the revision. Not sure if that's revising too early, guess I'll see when it comes to it

Not sure if any of that helped, hope it did Also, have you been on the Year 10 thread yet? Soz for writing so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noxus)

How you can help?

Seeing as you're from a school that apparently doesn't get good results, the A* and A are excellent in your situation, especially in Year 10. It's good that you've learnt a lesson from not revising for your exams - obviously you should revise but the fact that you state "I was also Gifted and Talented for all my life except in this year due to rotation." should give you no reason to rely on your own knowledge, at all. I don't mean to be rude, but you may be, or believe that you are 'gifted and talented' for you whole life, but if you're blaming this on a rotation, which I could see why it'd affect you but being gifted and talented then you should still get good grades, surely?

It seems that you're trying to find excuses to make up for some bad grades too - obviously mocks will be difficult and you're only in Year 10 and you'll do the exams next year most probably, but once again, you should've revised. If you keep making up excuses 'oh I know where I went wrong now...' 'I got a D but I can easily bring it up to an A' - well, that's good that you can do it, but why didn't you do it before? You need to accept that you aren't 'gifted and talented' at the moment and start from the absolute basics and nail the content - then you'll get them grades indefinitely.

Apart from that, you seem like you have the determination to do well, and I have no doubt that you could as long as you try and keep trying and accept the fact that you're going to make mistakes and learn from them - as you seem to be doing. Revise! Revise! And revise some more! Nail these exams with constant revision from the basics, you've got about a year to go and you seem to be on the right track now - but don't think that you can get A*s and As constantly without revision because it doesn't always happen as you've seen.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    My school did mock exams at the start of year 11 january of this year here's what i got:
    A* Computing
    A Maths
    A Biology
    A Chemistry
    A Physics
    B History
    B English
    B French
    D Music

I'll admit i'm rubbish at music at least gcse music as although i have grade 5 piano i just cant compose but im on a high C and if i did well enough in the final exam i'll get a B.

Mocks aren't the be all or end all. I may of revised a bit more than most in my year but i only got one A* because my revision was ****.

As far as revision tips for the final exam goes, what i did which made revision much easier was make mindmaps for topics from textbooks and revision guides and then revise from these mindmaps (also i started drinking coffee which helped). Set a rough timetable for revision, make sure in the days coming up to the exams you are 95% good on topics also have a quick flick through your textbook (not cramming) just to pick up a few keywords this helped in my second biology exam.

I'm predicted no A*s and the school i go to doesn't teach to that level at all, so im sure if your predicted As and A*s for year 11 you will do great. Have confidance in your ability, if your using this forum you must care about your work.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    For Spanish:

-Work really hard in controlled assessments, make sure you write/speak in detail and learn your work, because that's most of your grades.
    -Use lots of tenses: Present, preterite (I did...), imperfect (I used to do...), perfect (I have done), conditional (I would), immediate future (I'm going to...), Real future (I will)- try and get most of them in, and you get lots of marks for different structures
    -A good complex phrase is 'Cuando tenga ______ años, me gustaría'- When I'm ____ years old, I would like to- You can use this in healthy living (you would follow this with empezar jugar al fútbol', Holidays (e.g. ir a Irlanda), Future Plans (ir a la universidad', or local area 'ir a la ciudad porque mi barrio es demasiado pequeno (the n should have a tilda.) This is an AS/A-Level higher level phrase and looks very impressive if you use it correctly)
    -You have to go into lots and lots of detail for the CAs- 300 for an A*, I personally wrote 500-600. If you're describing a holiday- describe the weather, the hotel, the room, the local area, the beach, what you did, who you did it with. Use opinions and justify all of them, with vocab aside from the usual interesting, funny, boring.

Good luck and I hope this helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noxus)

How you can help?

RS:A
    Health: C
    Catering: A
    English lit&lang: A A
    Maths:B
    Art:didn't do
    Science: didn't do
    French:C - i was soo disapointed bc i normally get As in class so i was shocked with my results
    Geography: D:eek: i wasn't surprised tbh i find the geography gcse so much harder than what we learnt in yr7,8,9

I didn't revise much and i'm asian (parents are strict just like yours) i stressed out so much and honestly it was the worst thing in yr 11 I'm going to start revising every night especially subjects like maths, good luckk

ReputationRep:
    Just remember that you are given mocks to practice what it'd be like for the real exams. These could've been particularly hard exams, or maybe you just need a bit more practice on your exam techniques. Either way, don't let it get to you. You need to hold your head high, learn from what happened and show everyone your true potential when the next exam rolls around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.