Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it best to use a tablet or a laptop in uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am starting uni as a fresher come September I will be studying a business and management degree in Hull, and the main thing which is concerning me is which will I need and will be most useful a tablet or a laptop?

Personally I'm leaning towards a tablet more as I have a desktop computer to of which I can type information up onto from the tablet, also there are word processors on tablets as a whole anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Wait until you start, then decide?

I had a desktop, and that's it. I got a tablet later on which was useful for having digital copies of exam papers and lectures with me, but I used to just go to the library to do anything I needed on the computer. It can be difficult getting a PC in some places, depending on the library facilities and how busy it is so having a laptop is an advantage then.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd say a Tablet as lugging a laptop round with you everyday is annoying! But it's personal preference

ReputationRep:
    Buy a Macbook Air for the portability of tablet but the functionality of a laptop. However if you need to run more processor intensive programs buy a macbook pro. I would leave it on standby all the time for instant on just a tablet.

I used my laptop all the time in coffee shops, libraries, trains etc enabling me to be more productive and found the reliability of a macbook combined with the ability to have 10's of windows open over different work spaces, which would not be possible on a tablet.

It all depends on how you will be using your device now and in the third year when your work level and load increases lots from the first year.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a laptop - there are so many minor things you really need to be able to do which tablets can't do.

ReputationRep:
    If you're find with the idea of using a tablet for hours on end with no keyboard, go for a tablet. I'm considering going for a netbook in September because I tried using a tablet last year and not having a physical keyboard really pissed me off. I couldn't type quick enough on a tablet.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say get a tablet, as you already have a desktop on which you can type up essays, reports etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think I might get a tablet for easy access and note taking in lectures... As I can always type up the notes when using my desktop.

Thank you all for replying really has helped!

ReputationRep:
    Laptop for gaming.

ReputationRep:
    Tablet for on the go, desktop PC/mac for when your at home(halls). It's nice to take pictures and write down notes, do quick Google searches whilst on the move.
    I prefer making paper notes, but seriously, recycle that stuff!

ReputationRep:
    I've always thought laptops are more versatile, in the sense that most softwares and websites would work on them. If I were you, I'd just get one of the smaller laptops (12 - 13 inch screen) as a nice compromise between the two.

ReputationRep:
    I started uni with a tablet, didn't use it at all as it wasn't easy to type . This year I realised I needed something for portability as I only had a desktop and had many revision sessions outside of my house so I bought a chromebook. Honestly, if you have a desktop, I can't recommend them enough, as cheap as a tablet, yes they don't play games but that is just a distraction in lectures, internet access is great around campus so they are functional, type up documents on the go, read lecture notes, exactly what I needed, hopefully this helps you too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenMcNamara)
    I am starting uni as a fresher come September I will be studying a business and management degree in Hull, and the main thing which is concerning me is which will I need and will be most useful a tablet or a laptop?

Personally I'm leaning towards a tablet more as I have a desktop computer to of which I can type information up onto from the tablet, also there are word processors on tablets as a whole anyway.
    Go for a Macbook Pro. Their battery life is amazing and they're light as anything.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly would go with a laptop. It would save you a lot of stress when the exam period arrives and there's no computers available in the library. You could also have a look at convertible laptops that double up as a tablet too! I'm using one now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen47)
    If you're find with the idea of using a tablet for hours on end with no keyboard, go for a tablet. I'm considering going for a netbook in September because I tried using a tablet last year and not having a physical keyboard really pissed me off. I couldn't type quick enough on a tablet.
    I tried a netbook myself and found was unable to keep up me in the second year as I needed to cross reference 10 or more windows at once and bought a mac although I felt a clone seeing as virtually everyone had one at my uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllieDS)
    Go for a Macbook Pro. Their battery life is amazing and they're light as anything.
    And you are not in danger of loosing half your dissertation through a computer virus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkPeople)
    I honestly would go with a laptop. It would save you a lot of stress when the exam period arrives and there's no computers available in the library. You could also have a look at convertible laptops that double up as a tablet too! I'm using one now
    If you want to save money you could buy an IBM x61T.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by si82)
    And you are not in danger of loosing half your dissertation through a computer virus.
    Indeed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.