Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Closed.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSilentBang)
    I'm coming towards the end of my placement year at a large well known software company (UK based, not quite a Microsoft/Google but still a billion pound FTSE 100 company) and they have just offered me a job for when I graduate next year. Experience wise I have a year placement at the above and two months at a large airline company doing software development.

The starting salary for my job would be £28K and in the North East (where I'm from). I would expect to be hitting a first with my results as I have comfortably hit one in all years so far.

My question is should I take this offer and not bother applying for others or should I use it as a back up and apply for the massive companies like Google, Facebook, Microsoft, IBM etc?
    There's only one company that fits this description in the North East.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    There's only one FTSE 100 company in the North East.
    Then you should know where I'm talking about.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Then you should know where I'm talking about.
    What's the harm in applying for the other companies? You might just get a job working for them!

If you're wanting to stay up north though, I would definitely stay with that company. I've only ever heard good things about them, and the salary they have offered you seems a good wage to me for this area.

ReputationRep:
    There's only one FTSE 100 company in the North East.
    The Post Office?

ReputationRep:
    What's the harm in applying for the other companies? You might just get a job working for them!

If you're wanting to stay up north though, I would definitely stay with that company. I've only ever heard good things about them, and the salary they have offered you seems a good wage to me for this area.
    Yeah they're a good company to work for from what I've experienced. I think I'm open to moving away from the North mind. I've edited my post a bit above, the question was a bit vague.

Basically would it be better to focus on my final year? Or invest in applying for these companies. Do they take on many etc?

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming towards the end of my placement year at a large well known software company (UK based, not quite a Microsoft/Google but still a billion pound FTSE 100 company) and they have just offered me a job for when I graduate next year. Experience wise I have a year placement at the above and two months at a large airline company doing software development.

The starting salary for my job would be £28K and up North. I would expect to be hitting a first with my results as I have comfortably hit one in all years so far.

My question is should I take this offer and not bother applying for others as it would allow me more time to focus on my final year or should I use it as a back up and try my luck with the massive companies like Google, Facebook, Microsoft, IBM etc?
    Take the offer and apply selectively to companies better than the offer.

Not so many it risks the first. You havent said what/where your degree is, but 28k is acceptable but on the low side compared to IBM/Accenture ect.

Whyd you want to work for a big company? SMEs are much more interesting. Silicon roundabout and all that jazz.

ReputationRep:

The starting salary for my job would be £28K and up North. I would expect to be hitting a first with my results as I have comfortably hit one in all years so far.

My question is should I take this offer and not bother applying for others as it would allow me more time to focus on my final year or should I use it as a back up and try my luck with the massive companies like Google, Facebook, Microsoft, IBM etc?
    £28K sounds quite low to me TBH, but I don't know about that area. If you are competent and willing to travel, you can easily find $100K (~£60K) jobs in the US. Google UK also pays a lot more than that I believe, and people say they still don't pay enough.

I would definitely apply around, just to see what the job market is like, etc. It also gives you more leverage in salary negotiation, even if you don't actually take those other jobs. Most companies (even very big companies) are surprisingly willing to pay you more if you just asked... because the hiring manager is not the one paying you, only deciding how much you get paid. For them it's just someone else's money.

And who knows! Maybe you'll actually like another job better!

I had a job offer from a smaller company in Canada that I intended to accept, but I also got a few job offers from the Silicon Valley, and those offers allowed me to get a lot more $$ from negotiations with the Canadian company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Take the offer and apply selectively to companies better than the offer.

Not so many it risks the first. You havent said what/where your degree is, but 28k is acceptable but on the low side compared to IBM/Accenture ect.

Whyd you want to work for a big company? SMEs are much more interesting. Silicon roundabout and all that jazz.
    I wouldn't mind working for an SME actually, I quite like the appeal of working with new technologies with less bureaucracy. I don't really want to stay in software forever though, right now (although my mind could easily change) I quite like the idea of getting a few years at least of software industry experience and then trying to break into the management side of things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihavemooedtoday)
    £28K sounds quite low to me TBH, but I don't know about that area. If you are competent and willing to travel, you can easily find $100K (~£60K) jobs in the US. Google UK also pays a lot more than that I believe, and people say they still don't pay enough.

I would definitely apply around, just to see what the job market is like, etc. It also gives you more leverage in salary negotiation, even if you don't actually take those other jobs. Most companies (even very big companies) are surprisingly willing to pay you more if you just asked... because the hiring manager is not the one paying you, only deciding how much you get paid. For them it's just someone else's money.

I had a job offer from a smaller company in Canada that I intended to accept, but I also got a few job offers from the Silicon Valley, and those offers allowed me to get a lot more $$ from negotiations with the Canadian company.
    It's not too bad due to the relatively low living costs around here. How hard is it for somebody in the UK to get a job in US (visa, competition from other grads etc.)?

I think from what I've read here I'll apply to the select few larger ones, the majority would be London based by the looks of things.

ReputationRep:
    The truth is, you should accept the job. Immediately. Believe me, you don't want to be in my situation where it took me a ****ing year to find work. Take the job, you can apply for more places whilst you actually have work.

(Original post by ihavemooedtoday)

This is like an idealized reality that is played out in the sims.

ReputationRep:
    It's not too bad due to the relatively low living costs around here. How hard is it for somebody in the UK to get a job in US (visa, competition from other grads etc.)?

I think from what I've read here I'll apply to the select few larger ones, the majority would be London based by the looks of things.
    Competition is definitely high since the US does have many great universities for tech. But the tech industry there is also much bigger, so it's really not too bad. Most graduates I know that know what they are doing were able to find jobs there. I have many friends working at Google, Facebook, and Microsoft that I wouldn't really consider "know what they are doing" even. They do need a lot of entry level developers to do low level work, too.

I wouldn't really worry about visa too much. You'll need an H1B visa which requires a company to sponsor you, but they are very used to doing that since a very large percentage of their employees are foreign working on H1B. If you apply to bigger companies, they also have lawyers that will do 99% of all the paperwork for you. They will just send you a package for you to sign when they are done.

There is a yearly quota, though, so you'll have to make sure you get the timing right (apply at the right time of the year).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djpailo)
    This is like an idealized reality that is played out in the sims.
    I don't know about that... I had much less luck when I played the Sims. Maybe I shouldn't have sold the ladder to buy food when the sim is still in the pool.

ReputationRep:
    28k too low ? Either the tsr reality distortion field is very strong these days or I'm seriously out of touch with grad I.t jobs.

Maybe you should ask them to sweeten the deal with one of those million pound golden handshakes and a pink diamond encrusted unicorn to ride to work on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTit)
    28k too low ? Either the tsr reality distortion field is very strong these days or I'm seriously out of touch with grad I.t jobs.

Maybe you should ask them to sweeten the deal with one of those million pound golden handshakes and a pink diamond encrusted unicorn to ride to work on.
    By IT do you mean say support/netadmin, or software development?

I am talking about software development, and the pay for that is quite a bit more.

For software dev, £28K is definitely considered low in London. I don't know about rest of the UK, but it would also be considered low for most of North America (very low for bigger cities).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTit)

I started in IT after graduation on £27,970 in 2008 in the north west. Excluding bonus and with a defined benefit pension.

IBM and Accenture both offer more than £30k as do most consultancies. Accenture has a £10k sign on bonus.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.