Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am just gonna start Meng course for Mechanical Engineering. Realistically, I would like to get a 1st in the course and then get a good job afterwards. So many hours would you typically expect me to work per week? Plus, would you recommend a part-time job or anything?

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe the number of hours is important, so long as it's not zero or very few. Just get the work done. Some weeks there will be very little, some weeks there will be a lot. It's not like doing 10 hours a week will give you a 2:1 and doing 11+ hours a week will give you a First, you need to monitor your progress.

You will find that university is different to what you've done in the past. Personally, the methods used for study in GCSE and A-level did not apply in the same way at university for various reasons - There is a lot less contact time and you will jump from topic to topic on a weekly basis (instead of working through the same problems for days and many lessons, you'll probably just do one lecture per week in a particular subject).

Getting a first is a challenge though. Having a job may give you less time to work if you're not always on top of your study. Just be aware that timetables can and do change and so will the workload, so make sure you have flexible hours or only do work on fixed days (weekends are best, after 3-6pm on weekdays depending on your timetable may work too).

When it comes to jobs, technical ability is as important as grades. You will do technical interviews and be asked questions about systems you've never even heard of (typically a cut-away section or some other questions about why components are why they are in their product). So try to remain varied if you can choose topics as knowledge in one area will be useful in another.

But just see how it goes. The first year is generally worth nothing or very little to the final classification, so just build up steadily.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.