Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My ordeal applying for the National Scholarship Programme (NSP) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I'd like to ask any advisors if they could kindly point me in the right direction if there is anything more that can be done. I'd also like to express that I realise this is not a entitlement but I should have at least an equal opportunity at receiving it.

So if you're not familiar with the NSP it is an award for students that meet a certain eligibility criteria that generally puts them in a disadvantageous position such as parental income or a low socio economic background.

Here is the full list of eligibility criteria from my university.

I would like to point out that I meet ALL bullet points in that list. The reason I did not get considered for this award was because my ADIF and Birth Certificate was requested from student finance and by the time I had been able to order a Birth Certificate and find an appropriate counter-signature and then wait in the long queue of processing the deadline for the scholarship had passed, I cannot provide proof of date of post but I did gather the information as fast as possible. Despite this, both Student Finance England and the University have said there is nothing more they can do, the worst part to the story is that because I did not receive the scholarship the first year I cannot receive it for any year of study which amounts to a lot of money I will never get.

I am now is awful financial detriment and may even consider leaving university because of this. Any help would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cameron1993)
    Firstly I'd like to ask any advisors if they could kindly point me in the right direction if there is anything more that can be done. I'd also like to express that I realise this is not a entitlement but I should have at least an equal opportunity at receiving it.

So if you're not familiar with the NSP it is an award for students that meet a certain eligibility criteria that generally puts them in a disadvantageous position such as parental income or a low socio economic background.

I would like to point out that I meet ALL bullet points in that list. The reason I did not get considered for this award was because my ADIF and Birth Certificate was requested from student finance and by the time I had been able to order a Birth Certificate and find an appropriate counter-signature and then wait in the long queue of processing the deadline for the scholarship had passed, I cannot provide proof of date of post but I did gather the information as fast as possible. Despite this, both Student Finance England and the University have said there is nothing more they can do, the worst part to the story is that because I did not receive the scholarship the first year I cannot receive it for any year of study which amounts to a lot of money I will never get.

I am now is awful financial detriment and may even consider leaving university because of this. Any help would be much appreciated
    Unless I've missed something that link you gave says the deadline is the 31st July and its only the 16th today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Unless I've missed something that link you gave says the deadline is the 31st July and its only the 16th today.
    This was for last year, sorry I wasn't clear about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cameron1993)

Sorry to hear this. I have no useful advice to give you. Just want to say that you are not alone. My ADIF birth certificate thingy has been rejected repeatedly (for silly reasons) and I will miss the NSP because of this. I might even get my finacne late and won't be able to go to uni at all despite applying well before the deadline. I feel your pain, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alapa)
    Sorry to hear this. I have no useful advice to give you. Just want to say that you are not alone. My ADIF birth certificate thingy has been rejected repeatedly (for silly reasons) and I will miss the NSP because of this. I might even get my finacne late and won't be able to go to uni at all despite applying well before the deadline. I feel your pain, sorry.
    Sorry to hear, I'm sure something needs to be done to eradicate this archaic system. All it takes is rational thinking and the correct information to see where the money is deserved, too many people get screwed by SFE and the university regulations/policies. Best of luck. My ADIF form also got rejected once, for an 'illegible postcode'. Which I actually saved a copy of - it was clearly readable of course... Haha.

ReputationRep:
    Just a little bump

-Do all those who are eligible and apply get the NSP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolasinac138)
    Just a little bump

-Do all those who are eligible and apply get the NSP?
    No, there are a limited number of bursaries- on Brunel Uni's website it says:
    Where more applicants meet the criteria than there are bursaries available, priority will be given to applicants who made Brunel their firm choice through UCAS and who score the highest number of points from the under-represented criteria.

ReputationRep:
    No, there are a limited number of bursaries- on Brunel Uni's website it says:
    Where more applicants meet the criteria than there are bursaries available, priority will be given to applicants who made Brunel their firm choice through UCAS and who score the highest number of points from the under-represented criteria.
    My main choice is LSE.

So when do you apply for NSP?

ReputationRep:
    My main choice is LSE.

So when do you apply for NSP?
    Obviously I know its different for each uni, I was just giving an example.
    The LSE website doesn't have much information on it.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I know its different for each uni, I was just giving an example.
    The LSE website doesn't have much information on it.
    I mean for Brunel for example, when would you apply?

ReputationRep:
    I mean for Brunel for example, when would you apply?
    By the 31st July

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.