The Student Room Group

Night out with friends - pull a sicky?

Next Saturday my friend has a free house in London as her parents are going to be away, I really want to go out in London with her on a night out as I have never been to a night out in London and spend the weekend with her, I have Saturday off but have to work Sunday morning 4-8 am.

I don't know whether to go out and pull a sicky (the same company that my Mum and brother - brother works on same department so could vouch for me) or to just go home on the Saturday and skip the night out and go to work.

I know I should go to work, but this is sadly the first time I've had a close friend in my life and I have never done anything social or fun like this, I'm only working as my mum has told me that I should work. The only thing that is setting me back is guilt and the fact my mum will tell me off even though im 21 as she believes in never having a day off.

I''m wondering whether I can compromise having the sunday off with the manager, but shes hardly ever there and im a temp, I don't think I will go back to working there after this summer (i told my mum i want to concentrate on my third year and in the summer I want it free for lookig for jobs and making the most of my last summer) and im leaving in a couple of weeks anyway...

What should I do?
article-2694618-1FAFB02600000578-817_634x880.jpg

If it is on Saturday, can't you just get a really long sleep early in the morning and wake up, say around 11 to turn up around 1(ish)?
Original post by Scienceisgood
article-2694618-1FAFB02600000578-817_634x880.jpg

If it is on Saturday, can't you just get a really long sleep early in the morning and wake up, say around 11 to turn up around 1(ish)?

Sorry, I dont understand what you are saying, my shift on sunday morning starts at 4.00am in the morning and ends at 8.00pm. There is no way for me to get back to where I live as I usually wake up at 2.30 in the morning to get ready to go to work, this would b impossible if I went out on a Saturday night as I dont live or work in London.
Original post by organizedchaos
Sorry, I dont understand what you are saying, my shift on sunday morning starts at 4.00am in the morning and ends at 8.00pm. There is no way for me to get back to where I live as I usually wake up at 2.30 in the morning to get ready to go to work, this would b impossible if I went out on a Saturday night as I dont live or work in London.

Sorry, i read where it said "4-8am", i thought you had a 4 hour shift, not a 16 hour shift.

If you think you can get away with it, fine.
Do what you want, if this doesn't happen again anytime soon, then do it because days like those don't come along too often.
yeah why do you want to be an extrovert copycat like all the beta sheep that go clubbing :yep:
Yeah, why not risk your career and your future on a night out and a piss-up? Grow up; even if you don't get caught, by doing things like this you do not deserve to be employed in the first place. There are thousands of people who are out of work, who would never dream of calling in sick if they had the opportunity. Go to work and earn a living, instead of risking having to live off of your parents.
Original post by Pectorac
Yeah, why not risk your career and your future on a night out and a piss-up? Grow up; even if you don't get caught, by doing things like this you do not deserve to be employed in the first place. There are thousands of people who are out of work, who would never dream of calling in sick if they had the opportunity. Go to work and earn a living, instead of risking having to live off of your parents.

I know, I am in a fortunate position but there is actually alot of openings for the job I have which is for one of the main brand supermarkets, funnily enough no-one wants it because of the early hours. I already have an internship this summer which is more important to me and generally wouldnt dream of calling in sick because this is the place I do want to work in the future.
At the end of the day its wishful thinking, she asked the same last summer and I had to reject as I had the same job then, and she didnt understand why I couldnt call in sick. Now the opportunity has risen again I am scared to reject the offer however much I want to go because she wont understand again.
I know, I am in a fortunate position but there is actually alot of openings for the job I have which is for one of the main brand supermarkets, funnily enough no-one wants it because of the early hours. I already have an internship this summer which is more important to me and generally wouldnt dream of calling in sick because this is the place I do want to work in the future.

If your mind is made up, why are you asking on here? Bare in mind that in the future, employers are going to ask about your employment history and a reference from somebody who says sometimes you don't turn up isn't going to look good.

If your 'friend' doesn't understand, then they are not a friend at all. Get better friends who respect that some people go to work and can't go out with them any time they want.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
yeah why do you want to be an extrovert copycat like all the beta sheep that go clubbing :yep:

Im pretty much the opposite, and am very shy and I rarely treat myself to go out. I personally think its fun, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea though :smile:

Jeeesus. Where the hell is making you work those crazy ass hours?
Im pretty much the opposite, and am very shy and I rarely treat myself to go out. I personally think its fun, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea though :smile:

Then I would be very similar to you :smile:

I kind of despise those who do that, I'd rather spend time getting into Master Division or revising myself :yep:

Yeahh :smile:
Original post by Pectorac
If your mind is made up, why are you asking on here? Bare in mind that in the future, employers are going to ask about your employment history and a reference from somebody who says sometimes you don't turn up isn't going to look good.

If your 'friend' doesn't understand, then they are not a friend at all. Get better friends who respect that some people go to work and can't go out with them any time they want.

I havent made my mind up, infact I think you've probably changed it. I have been working there for 2 years now and have never had a day off and worked loads of overtime in christmas and summer holidays... But I don't think my mum would have let me anyway. Its just I've never had friends to do this with when I was at school, so I'm catching up with going out now in my 20s...I guess I will wait until next year...And yeah, I just feel bad as I've blown her off with so many things this year I don't want to lose her as a friend
I havent made my mind up, infact I think you've probably changed it. I have been working there for 2 years now and have never had a day off and worked loads of overtime in christmas and summer holidays... But I don't think my mum would have let me anyway. Its just I've never had friends to do this with when I was at school, so I'm catching up with going out now in my 20s...I guess I will wait until next year...And yeah, I just feel bad as I've blown her off with so many things this year I don't want to lose her as a friend

It's understandable that you want to go out, but this person should understand that some people have other commitments. If you do it the once, you don't know when it will stop and she might have you having days off every couple of weeks or more, to go out with her. If she actually wants to go out with you and be your friend, you should tell her the nights you are available to go out and try to arrange something around that.

You really don't want to upset your employer or your mum, who may not be as willing to cover for you as you might think, especially if it happens more than once.

I would do it. If you've got a 2 years track record one shift off sick isn't going to affect a reference in any way. I would rustle up an 'illness' that means you can let them know as soon as possible so they can find cover to alleviate the guilt.

Alternatively you could try and find cover yourself or see if you could swap that shift? But you need to be certain as a sicky would be obvious if you had asked and failed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
In the end I just said I couldnt do it, I guess there will be other times...
Reverse your decision and pull a sickie your employer is exploiting you anyway making you do 16 hour shifts. You only live once and slaving away for some retail chain for 6.20 an hour isn't how you want to spend it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending