Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking of leaving university in 3rd and last year! Advice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am in my last year at university, but I have come across a dilemma! I'm not really enjoying my course and am not sure what job prospects it can offer me in the end, but I don't want to quit when I have worked so hard the past two years...but a job opportunity has come along where I can earn good money but won't be Available next year when I finish uni...so do I take the job and leave uni or not? It's possible to do my work while I'm at the job but it's the 5 week placement which is non negotiable that I would have to attend!

I am currently struggling for money even with a student loan and have many failed job interviews as all of them say that because of uni I don't have enough hours or flexibility....ahh what do I do, I'd love a degree as it can give me a stable future if worse comes to worse with the job but I need the money :/ any advice would be much appreciated?

ReputationRep:
    Things to consider:

You will still need to pay off you tuition fees even if you don't get a degree and if you want to redo it in the future, you have to start from Year 1 which would cost a lot.

How much does the job pay and is it a long term job or temporary?

What are your job prospects after you get a degree compared to without a degree?

If you have money problems now, can you get a job that does not need you to quit uni e.g. part time, summer or get creative e.g. collecting unwanted stuff from family and friends and selling on Craiglist, ebay, car boot sales, market stalls?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unigalyr3)
    Hi, I am in my last year at university, but I have come across a dilemma! I'm not really enjoying my course and am not sure what job prospects it can offer me in the end, but I don't want to quit when I have worked so hard the past two years...but a job opportunity has come along where I can earn good money but won't be Available next year when I finish uni...so do I take the job and leave uni or not? It's possible to do my work while I'm at the job but it's the 5 week placement which is non negotiable that I would have to attend!

I am currently struggling for money even with a student loan and have many failed job interviews as all of them say that because of uni I don't have enough hours or flexibility....ahh what do I do, I'd love a degree as it can give me a stable future if worse comes to worse with the job but I need the money :/ any advice would be much appreciated?
    I've moved this over to the University Life as I feel it'll get a better response!

Out of interest, and sorry if this sounds nosey, but what's the job offer like and does it fit with your future ambitions?

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou both for replying and yes the job would be long term, it can offer me a good pention and the hourly rate is when starting £11 per hour which will then go up to £15per hour after a year and then £24per hour after that my dad works there you see and also my brother.

Also let me explain my course it's called Children and Intergrated Professional care, I chose it because I was undecided of what to do in the future but wanted to go to uni. I also enjoyed working with children. The course has a range of topics all based around children e.g Children and the law, Social work, Children and education, Children and Health and youth crime...so as you can tell it has a wide range which I was hopeing one of them would stick out to me and I'd decide that's what I want to do...but it hasn't happened yet! All I have mange to do is narrow down the things I don't want to do and as it's a non-specific course if I decided I wanted to be e.g a teacher, midwife, family law adviser, which are all things I have looked into, it would mean more studying and also a continued money struggle.

Yes I as well have been looking for part time work, since year 1 I'm now heading into year 3 and it's been difficult, I have had many job interviews and have all failed due to my time and felxability, they have given me feedback on the interview all saying I had a strong or good interview but my time and felxability isn't enough, I have even tried buying and selling on ebay...so you can see my dilemma and wow this is a long explanation sorry but I'm worried about making the wrong choice, I wish there was a way I can do both...as I'm entering year 3 with a 2.1.

you see see a friend of mine who is on the course got pregnant and managed to do her whole year2 without attending one session passing with good grades, commitment I know! She managed this because a lot of the sessions we attend are put online afterwards so we can look back if needed, the only trouble is in second year we didn't have a placement in 3rd year we have a 5 week placement, I could use my 2weeks holiday pay at and take that time to do my placement but again it's only 2 weeks I'm wondering if my course leader would understand and let me do that, but I'm doughtful.

Thankyou for your current advice I really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, that is an amazing opportunity and I can see your dilemma!

I was going to say 'are you crazy?' but I actually think it might be worth it!! I mean even if you leave your degree after your second year, you will still receive certification for what you have completed Just keep in mind that if you leave, you cannot just come back and say oh hey I've just came to complete my third year.

In the end, a degree isn't everything, work experience can be just, if not more valuable in some areas. If the company is in a field you would actually like to progress in than I would probably go for it.

As long as you can justify why you left your degree to a future employer AND as long are you are not looking into furthering a career in a field that absolutely will require a degree, I'd say go for it!

If this is long term like you say and they will keep you at least 5 to 10 years than you would have more than enough work experience for the next job.

Does that make sense? So things to consider, is the job offer in a field you would enjoy working in AND do you want to further your career in it. If you want to go back to working something related to your degree - is having a degree essential or would many years of work experience be good enough?

ALSO you could possible ask your uni if you could switch to part time and then complete year 3 over 2 years part-time studies next to full time work IS doable and this way you still get to finish your degree?! I would definitely talk to you uni to see what possibilities are there before quitting!

Best of luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    Haha thankyou for understanding

and the job isn't in the same filed as what I am currently studying but the money is hard to turn down lol and it would be long term as my dad has worked there over 25 years and I didn't realise I would still get a certificate in my current achievements that makes me feel better! But yes my worry is I couldn't go back and just finish year 3 if I decide the job isn't for me as I forgot to mention the job can be hard labor to start off with but after a year I can progress into the offices.

But I know that both uni and the job can offer me opportunities it's just I know the opportunity's I can get from the job but the opportunity's at the end of uni are unclear and that scares me when making my decision I have even considered seeing a psychic!

This is will be a hard decision and I really do appreciate the advice I don't want to take this decision lightly!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.