Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have dark brown hair, and I want it to be red (not like holly hagan bright red) but quite bright.

I was wondering the best way to go about this cause every time I've tried to do it the red fades really quickly, or it doesn't come out red enough.

So what's the best way to get red hair.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you need to pre-lighten / bleach it. This way, your hair will be light before you dye it red and the red colour will stand out much, much more. Some say bleach can damage your hair, but I think it only damages it a bit when you use it lots of times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I went from dark brown to red hair and I used Scott Cornwall's Colour B4 colour stripper and waited a week after using it and used a permanent red dye and it came out quite bright, it was a nice shade

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would consult a salon. I know they're more expensive than doing it yourself but my red colour lasts for months (obviously I still need root touch ups when it grows) and the stylist will know how to go from one colour to another successfully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I just died mine straight off using the XXL Live colours for red, and mine went pretty bright
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I've used Affinage B-Red, i went from dark brown to medium red by using this with 30 vol developer, it left my hair in really good condition too because it's "single process" meaning that you won't need to pre-lighten beforehand so it leaves it in better condition than if you had pre-lightened hair first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esjae)
    I just died mine straight off using the XXL Live colours for red, and mine went pretty bright
    Your hair looks great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    Your hair looks great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you I miss it being red haha, and pink haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.