Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Antipsychotics and 'dumbing down' Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I've been on APs for 2 years. Prior to having them I was a constantly a high achiever with lots of motivation. In my first year of uni I was getting straight 1sts. But since being put on APs my grades have dropped, I have less motivation, I sleep far too much and feel like I brain fog and am just not as sharp as I used to.

Is this just life where you can't maintain perfection or has anyone else experienced this as a result of APs?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed the same thing. Yesterday it took me about twenty minutes to work out how many miles I could go in ten minutes at twenty miles an hour :facepalm: it's ridiculous how dumb I am. I was on antipsychotics at uni and my work definitely suffered and things are no better now. I don't really have any advice for making things any easier but you're definitely not alone.

When I have told my psychiatrist in the past she's told me it's part of my "illness" but this excuse isn't good enough for me. I plan on bringing it up again next time I see her because I feel so frustrated at how slow I am.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've experienced the same thing - though my psych (like Sabertooth) said it's a part of my illness not the APs

ReputationRep:
    Yep same thing here. My sleeping is awful. I seem to need 12 hours sleep a night when I used to be able to have 7 hours of sleep a night and feel fine.

Frankly it was the "dumbing down" sensation that made me stop taking my medication for a while. Of course this back fired and ended up with me in hospital but I still feel like the medication is causing me issues. It is a bit of a worry since I start my course in September. It is one I have wanted to do for years and years and I don't want to screw it up just because of the medication.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    My intellect and the pace at which I can work/understand things/write essays has definitely gone down the toilet, but I think that's just coz Oxford broke me :o:

ReputationRep:
    Yep I started uni with firsts and got As throughout high school. I used to read loads. That's all gone now. I'm a drooling moron.

ReputationRep:
    I've experienced the same thing, I got all A*s at a levels but I've struggled since. But my doctors have said it's due to my illness. My current consultant though is pretty encouraging, he motivates me to want to go back to university and says I can get back to my previous intellect, hopefully he is correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Uni made me stupid too, it's not just to do with drugs, the trauma of leaving home and the necessity of running your own life can have adverse consequences for your mental health.

ReputationRep:
    I have become stupid - but I think that's being ill not the anti-psychotics.

ReputationRep:
    Even though periods of illness can make me slower, sluggish and more dumb, anti-psychotics definitely exaccerbate this.

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
      My intellect and the pace at which I can work/understand things/write essays has definitely gone down the toilet, but I think that's just coz Oxford broke me :o:
      I've thought the same thing about myself tbh

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2014
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.