Do you have any tips for social anxiety? Watch

ReputationRep:
    :confused:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by kite29)
    I've moved this to the health forums for you, as you should get more replies here. You should check out the forum as there might be other people feeling the same way as you http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=659

There's a big thread with other people who have social anxiety here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2728276

Take care :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    You can find websites that have a large sum of information regarding social anxiety, what it is, how to deal with it and possible scenario's in which you can pretend it's not even there! But yes, given that about 70% of my friends have anxiety, although not all is social; I can sincerely suggest you attempt to build up confidence and challenge yourself, although it seems difficult and can be overpowering at times: you must remain resilient and try your best to battle it.

Other than medicine, that's the only advice I can give.

ReputationRep:

I have a tip that works for me sometimes but I do still suffer from anxiety!

Anxiety is every animal's response to feeling threatened. So the true purpose of anxiety is meant to be "there's a lion over there, I'd better run" or "my food might get stolen, I'd better hide it"

In our modern lives these feelings are triggered by things that aren't truly threats to our survival. You additionally can't 'flee' as you would from a lion. If school is making you anxious for example it's pretty hard to flee from that!

When I'm feeling anxious I therefore like to ask myself "what's the threat here?" For example the other day I was feeling anxious because I suggested to my friend that we do something this weekend and she sort of muttered something about being busy and didn't seem that keen. I was getting really anxious until I thought to myself "what's the threat to my survival here?" Well I could lose that friend - yes I'd be upset but would it really threaten my survival? I have other friends, I have family, I only really want good friends in my life anyway. Life would go on.

And then it felt like a much smaller problem to overcome.

All anxiety is essentially is having stress responses to situations too easily - you just have to be able to catch yourself in the process, look at the situation objectively and minimise the 'threat' in your head. Over time you will see you stop responding anxiously to situations which you used to freak out about. It just takes patience and time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.