Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a bit of a limbo at the moment.

My A level subjects I did were Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. I've applied for pharmacy in the UK, and awaiting my A level results in August. I applied for pharmacy, as I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do at the time, but I knew I wanted to go into something science based, so at the time, my best option was pharmacy. Thinking about it now, I feel I would be suited into something a bit more communication-based, in order to benefit people's lives, and to take an active interest in the health and prevention of diseases / mental disorders. This led to me thinking of going into medicine. Although, I haven't studied biology at A level (didn't like the syllabus they taught for human biology), I still have an active interest in biology, as well as chemistry and psychology (have bought A level biology textbooks to read over in my spare time).
    As my GCSE grades are average (mixture of B and C grades), I know I would not be favoured at UK medical schools, even if I do achieve my predicted grades of AAB. I have looked into the various specialities and careers offered within the field of medicine, and I've come to a conclusion of going into either psychiatry (suits my interests within psychology too), or becoming a GP (general practitioner - also based on my interest of communicating effectively to a range of patients). I have looked into medicine abroad, and the two best medical schools I have found which suit me are: Plovdiv Medical School in Bulgaria, as well as Riga Stradins University in Riga, Latvia (the capital of Latvia). As I am from the UK, I think Latvia offers more of a variety to a potential international student like myself; as well as better transport links to and from the UK. I am thinking of waiting for my A level results in August, and if I get grades ABB-AAB, then deferring my UCAS application for pharmacy schools in the UK, and within that deferred year, apply to these two medical schools through an agency for February entry (they both do September and February entry). If I do get into one of these schools, then eventually cancelling my UK application. I really need some advice on this, as I don't really have anyone to speak to, in person. I know these medical schools are recognised by the GMC as they are located within the EU.

Thank you
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by californicationn)
    I'm in a bit of a limbo at the moment.

My A level subjects I did were Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. I've applied for pharmacy in the UK, and awaiting my A level results in August. I applied for pharmacy, as I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do at the time, but I knew I wanted to go into something science based, so at the time, my best option was pharmacy. Thinking about it now, I feel I would be suited into something a bit more communication-based, in order to benefit people's lives, and to take an active interest in the health and prevention of diseases / mental disorders. This led to me thinking of going into medicine. Although, I haven't studied biology at A level (didn't like the syllabus they taught for human biology), I still have an active interest in biology, as well as chemistry and psychology (have bought A level biology textbooks to read over in my spare time).
    As my GCSE grades are average (mixture of B and C grades), I know I would not be favoured at UK medical schools, even if I do achieve my predicted grades of AAB. I have looked into the various specialities and careers offered within the field of medicine, and I've come to a conclusion of going into either psychiatry (suits my interests within psychology too), or becoming a GP (general practitioner - also based on my interest of communicating effectively to a range of patients). I have looked into medicine abroad, and the two best medical schools I have found which suit me are: Plovdiv Medical School in Bulgaria, as well as Riga Stradins University in Riga, Latvia (the capital of Latvia). As I am from the UK, I think Latvia offers more of a variety to a potential international student like myself; as well as better transport links to and from the UK. I am thinking of waiting for my A level results in August, and if I get grades ABB-AAB, then deferring my UCAS application for pharmacy schools in the UK, and within that deferred year, apply to these two medical schools through an agency for February entry (they both do September and February entry). If I do get into one of these schools, then eventually cancelling my UK application. I really need some advice on this, as I don't really have anyone to speak to, in person. I know these medical schools are recognised by the GMC as they are located within the EU.

Thank you

Have you looked into Widening Participation courses? I go on about it, but some unis (Manchester, Kings, UEA, Durham, Southampton, Leeds) all have courses that have lower entry requirements for medicine. So Southampton requires BBC (Bio + Chem) at A level and 5 GCSEs at C or above and you do an extra year at the start of your medicine degree. It's what I did! If you're going to defer anyway I would look into those as well as going abroad.

If abroad is what you're after I can't help but there are lots on TSR who can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neostigmine)
    Have you looked into Widening Participation courses? I go on about it, but some unis (Manchester, Kings, UEA, Durham, Southampton, Leeds) all have courses that have lower entry requirements for medicine. So Southampton requires BBC (Bio + Chem) at A level and 5 GCSEs at C or above and you do an extra year at the start of your medicine degree. It's what I did! If you're going to defer anyway I would look into those as well as going abroad.

If abroad is what you're after I can't help but there are lots on TSR who can.
    Yes I looked into lots of these courses & foundation courses. I forgot to mention that I did three years at college overall (flunked up first year due to extenuating circumstances). Most foundation courses either want Biology (didn't do A level biology - didn't like the syllabus taught in human bio), or want A levels done within two years. So I'm in a really bad situation at the moment, I think my best chances of applying would be to apply abroad though in my situation.

I will still email the admissions though. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am definitely going to drop a grade on the AAA front for AS.
    I was it wondering wether it would be a good idea to defer or apply for other courses other than medicine this year and wait to see my final A2 results and if they meet the requirement, take a gap year and then re-apply...is this a good idea?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.