Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being followed home and harassed Watch

ReputationRep:
    *OP Deleted - resolved.

ReputationRep:
    Fishing for compliments

ReputationRep:
    inb4 the white knights come in and start saying "you look beautiful", "you are pretty" etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alice_95)
    I was followed home just now - it was really scary because this guy wouldn't go away. He was trying to get my number etc and ignored my asking to be alone. I got back to halls and one of my flatmates said she wasn't surprised. I'm so frustrated, I love wearing certain clothes because then I feel confident, but I get followed and approached consistently. I'm not sure whether it's because I'm living in an 'interesting' part of South London, but I hate feeling like a prostitute or something because of the gaping stares and people following me. Should I just suck it up or wear something else? It's become a bit of joke amongst some of my friends, one even said she'd love to be me because she doesn't get much male attention, but it is worrrying me. I have attached a couple of images, one to reflect the fit of the clothes which could be part of the issue, maybe? Please give your honest response because I don't want my clothes to give a message that could be misconstrued - can't I just feel pretty and try and have some confidence in my body? Thanks in advance. Sorry this is so long.

Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show
    When you're walking by yourself, talk to a friend on the phone.

Your clothes are rather form fitting, so that would attract the weirdos unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EatAndRevise)
    Fishing for compliments
    I see how it could come off that way and this is not something I would normally post, I just wanted honest opinions. So thanks for being honest I guess.

ReputationRep:
    You are pretty ngl.

And I am not being rude but I have had better, only once though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    When you're walking by yourself, talk to a friend on the phone.

Your clothes are rather form fitting, so that would attract the weirdos unfortunately.
    Thank you that's a really good idea. Yeah I think that may be part of the issue. I might have to be a bit more outfit conscious.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you in halls in mid-July?

ReputationRep:
    inb4 the white knights come in and start saying "you look beautiful", "you are pretty" etc.
    In b4 guy who doesn't know what White Knight means but has heard other people use it and wanted to use it too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Why are you in halls in mid-July?
    My first year doesn't finish until July 31st - welcome to nursing!

ReputationRep:
    I was followed home just now - it was really scary because this guy wouldn't go away. He was trying to get my number etc and ignored my asking to be alone. I got back to halls and one of my flatmates said she wasn't surprised. I'm so frustrated, I love wearing certain clothes because then I feel confident, but I get followed and approached consistently. I'm not sure whether it's because I'm living in an 'interesting' part of South London, but I hate feeling like a prostitute or something because of the gaping stares and people following me. Should I just suck it up or wear something else? It's become a bit of joke amongst some of my friends, one even said she'd love to be me because she doesn't get much male attention, but it is worrrying me. I have attached a couple of images, one to reflect the fit of the clothes which could be part of the issue, maybe? Please give your honest response because I don't want my clothes to give a message that could be misconstrued - can't I just feel pretty and try and have some confidence in my body? Thanks in advance. Sorry this is so long.

Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    In b4 guy who doesn't know what White Knight means but has heard other people use it and wanted to use it too.
    "A white knight is defined as a male that treats woman as goddesses and does nothing but shower then in compliments on how wonderful and beautiful and special they are."

Unlucky, better luck next time, buddy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chukster97)
    And it has begun

ReputationRep:
    That dress is like the ones I wear to school :rofl:

I think it's a mixture of where you live and the type of clothes you've been wearing, the dress is quite clingy so it probably does attract weirdos - 'tis a shame you may have to change what you wear though :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    My first year doesn't finish until July 31st - welcome to nursing!
    Oh well, maybe he was from UCL and took Burlington Bertie a little too literally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MidnightDream)
    That dress is like the ones I wear to school :rofl:

I think it's a mixture of where you live and the type of clothes you've been wearing, the dress is quite clingy so it probably does attract weirdos - 'tis a shame you may have to change what you wear though :sadnod:
    I think it's a really nice dress!

It is a shame, but I suppose if changing what I wear would make me feel more safe that can't be a bad thing, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Please give your honest response because I don't want my clothes to give a message that could be misconstrued - can't I just feel pretty and try and have some confidence in my body?
    Kinda sad that this happens, but not really surprised any more
    Yeah you look nice in your clothes, but that shouldn't mean guys should feel like they can do/say what they want to you

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a really nice dress!

It is a shame, but I suppose if changing what I wear would make me feel more safe that can't be a bad thing, I guess.
    It is a really, really nice dress :yep:

Yep 'tis worth it for the safety - I hope all the weirdos will leave you alone from now onwards

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't have posted pics if you wanted helpful responses.

As someone mentioned above, be on the phone or pretend to be on the phone if you are worried. Try not to worry too much about your clothes, you change - they win. People will be harassed regardless of what they are wearing. Just make sure you aren't putting yourself in dangerous situations e.g. Out alone at night etc.

ReputationRep:
    "A white knight is defined as a male that treats woman as goddesses and does nothing but shower then in compliments on how wonderful and beautiful and special they are."

Unlucky, better luck next time, buddy.
    Nope. White Knights rescue maidens in distress from internet jerks.

@OP there's nothing wrong with wearing those clothes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.