Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I am have just finished my AS-Levels and waiting for my results. I am studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. I want to study Physics at university and so I have a choice to make. First, lets assume that I want to apply to uni's like Cambridge and Imperial. My school said they would allow me to do Further Maths next year as an AS but I would need to drop a subject, which I have chosen to be Biology. Should I drop Biology or should I keep it and not do Further Maths?
    I know Further Maths is not essential for doing Physics at uni, but is it better to get 4 full A-Levels or 3 full A-Levels and 2 AS'?

ReputationRep:
    I'd take further maths, if you're looking to pursue physics. Biology doesn't really have any relevance, but further maths will be helpful. They only expect three A-levels and an AS so it doesn't matter which way you do it, and on a points scale they are equivalent (grade dependent).

ReputationRep:
    As Nymthae states, biology is not relevant. If you went up to the average student with 4 full A Levels that might look better than 3 and two AS grades (emphasis on might). But put yourself in the shoes of someone assessing your application. The biology will be looked upon as, "Oh, he's good at other subjects too and he had an increased workload." By contrast, with Further Maths it will be, "Oh he REALLY likes Maths and is good at it and this will stand him in good stead in our degree".

Want to do biophysics in the future? Keep Biology.
    Want a feather in your cap for pure physics? Further Maths

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.