Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in limbo at the moment, and really need some advice.

My A level subjects I did were Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. I've applied for pharmacy in the UK, and awaiting my A level results in August. I applied for pharmacy, as I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do at the time, but I knew I wanted to go into something science based, so at the time, my best option was pharmacy. Thinking about it now, I feel I would be suited into something a bit more communication-based, in order to benefit people's lives, and to take an active interest in the health and prevention of diseases / mental disorders. This led to me thinking of going into medicine. Although, I haven't studied biology at A level (didn't like the syllabus they taught for human biology), I still have an active interest in biology, as well as chemistry and psychology. As my GCSE grades are average (mixture of B and C grades), I know I would not be favoured at UK medical schools, even if I do achieve my predicted grades of AAB. I have looked into the various specialities and careers offered within the field of medicine, and I've come to a conclusion of going into either psychiatry (suits my interests within psychology too), or becoming a GP (general practitioner - also based on my interest of communicating effectively to a range of patients). I have looked into medicine abroad, and the two best medical schools I have found which suit me are: Plovdiv Medical School in Bulgaria, as well as Riga Stradins University in Riga, Latvia (the capital of Riga). As I am from the UK, I think Latvia offers more of a variety to a potential international student like myself; as well as better transport to and from the UK. I am thinking of awaiting my A level results in August, and if I get grades ABB-AAB, then deffering my UCAS application for pharmacy schools in the UK, and within that deferred year, apply to these two medical schools through an agency. If I do get into one of these schools, then eventually cancelling my UK application. I really need some advice on this, as I don't really have anyone to speak to, in person. I know these medical schools are recognised by the GMC as they are located within the EU.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do something in mental health, why not look into mental health nursing? You could get into that with your current A-levels right away, as there are quite a few spaces in Clearing (at decent universities) for it every year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pectorac)
    If you want to do something in mental health, why not look into mental health nursing? You could get into that with your current A-levels right away, as there are quite a few spaces in Clearing (at decent universities) for it every year.
    Doesn't have to be within mental health, was just outlining that, this is one of my interests. Wanted advice more on the fact of studying abroad and whether it's worth it (although I know its GMC regulated with F1 year integrated, would I find it difficult to find F2 placements in the UK?)

Sorry, I should have made my post a bit clearer

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.