Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What does it feel like to drive a car? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to start lessons soon but I'm nervous, not necessarily for myself, but for others, I'm scared I'm going to crash into someone. Is this a normal feeling? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Feels pretty effing awesome :ahee:

In all seriousness yes definitely a normal feeling. Being in control of a car can feel quite daunting at first but after you've been taught the basics and have driven the car a while, the feeling usually fades

Remember what the lessons are for in the first place, to be taught how to drive a vehicle safely!

Plus the instructor does have his own pedals which he will use if need be.

Good luck with your lessons!

Also the motoring forum has a sub-forum for learners called 'learning to drive' you should check it out!

ReputationRep:
    Good for the first 6 months ish, then you miss being ferried around everywhere by your mum.

ReputationRep:
    It is easy....!! start with the confidence .....!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    Good for the first 6 months ish, then you miss being ferried around everywhere by your mum.
    What?! I prefer to drive places myself instead of being ferried around!

ReputationRep:
    It feels nice once you become good at it. But in the beginning it feels...not nice. You're constantly worrying that you'll scrape everything you drive by, or that you might scrape against the sides of oncoming vehicles. It's extremely risky if you're not always very careful and aware of things around you. Bear that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    It feels nice once you become good at it. But in the beginning it feels...not nice. You're constantly worrying that you'll scrape everything you drive by, or that you might scrape against the sides of oncoming vehicles. It's extremely risky if you're not always very careful and aware of things around you. Bear that in mind.
    do you ever have the urge to floor it and drift like in the fast and furious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chukster97)
    hahahaha not quite. But only because I drive a 998cc engine, 0 to 60 takes almost an hour. I want to tint my windows so people can't see me driving such a woeful car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chukster97)
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been driving a few decades. I have my own car and i drive a company vehicle at work. Driving? Well its as natural as breathing for me and i dont really notice it. Id say the standards of driving i see around me from day to day are poor and getting worse. Driving isnt what it used to be.

I also have a full motorbike licence..now that is fun..

ReputationRep:
    Supposed to go and drive for the first time tomorrow

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.