Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MEng - Civil Engineering and MSc - Transport Planning? Watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hi all, I'd really appreciate some advice about a major decision I have to make around my career direction.

    I recently graduated from an MEng in Civil Engineering at Cardiff University (2:1). And naturally I've been researching jobs and looking around, interviewing, and all that lovely stuff. Still got nothing yet, but it's early days so no worries.

    The issue is that a couple of days ago I was looking at a Transport Planning job and realised that I would probably really enjoy that sector, and the more I researched, the more interested I became in the whole area. However, my research also told me that if I was to go down the Transport Planning career path, I would likely want to have done an MSc in the area to give myself a real chance of going far. And I looked up degrees and found this really great looking one at Imperial/UCL, which would be amazing, considering Imperial is pretty revered amongst engineers.

    Obviously the issue is that I already have an MEng, and a second Master's degree (even if it would be a postgraduate) seems excessive. However, my situation is quite unique in that if I had graduated with a BEng I would have received a 2:2, which likely wouldn't have got me into the Transport Planning degrees I'm interested in. But it's still another year, and I worry very much that it would be a waste and that I should just give up this new ambition to work in Transport Planning, because a role in a typical Civil Engineering company definitely still interests me. It's just that Transport Planning seems ideal.

    So my questions are:

    Does anyone work in or is applying to the Transport Planning sector? Would I need an MSc specialising in Transport Planning in order to work there?

    Is it really silly to do an MSc (bear in mind it's only a year) when I already have an MEng, considering my situation?

    Should I apply into the Transport Planning industry and do an MSc further down the line? Or is it just better to do it as soon as possible?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.