Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (I hope this is the most appropriate place to post this, sorry if i've made a mistake, I rarely post here)

Hey guys!

So like many of you I’ve been pacing the country on university open days. Obviously, I haven’t been able to visit all of them. One of the key things that I make sure I see as the library- as a potential English student this is where I will spend most of my time (sleeping, eating, crying, maybe some reading ).
    So far, I've been a bit disappointed about what I saw (the Leeds one was quite dramatic, and the Sheffield Arts Tower library is my favourite so far).

So, maybe you’re like me and on the Open Day trail or a current student, tell me- where has a really great library?- and I’m talking aesthetically (although obviously if they have a **** stock or whatever that will be a factor). I know it is a bizarre criteria to have, but rest assured other things are much more important to me...

Some perimeters:
    Not Oxbridge- I know that they have gorgeous old libraries but I’m not interested- and not London- too close to home and too pricy- but really anywhere else, any corner of the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platonicgloves)
    (I hope this is the most appropriate place to post this, sorry if i've made a mistake, I rarely post here)

Hey guys!

So like many of you I’ve been pacing the country on university open days. Obviously, I haven’t been able to visit all of them. One of the key things that I make sure I see as the library- as a potential English student this is where I will spend most of my time (sleeping, eating, crying, maybe some reading ).
    So far, I've been a bit disappointed about what I saw (the Leeds one was quite dramatic, and the Sheffield Arts Tower library is my favourite so far).

So, maybe you’re like me and on the Open Day trail or a current student, tell me- where has a really great library?- and I’m talking aesthetically (although obviously if they have a **** stock or whatever that will be a factor). I know it is a bizarre criteria to have, but rest assured other things are much more important to me...

Some perimeters:
    Not Oxbridge- I know that they have gorgeous old libraries but I’m not interested- and not London- too close to home and too pricy- but really anywhere else, any corner of the country.

University of Manchester (This isn't just because I'm a student there haha )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06shawm)
    University of Manchester (This isn't just because I'm a student there haha )
    Wow, I haven't been to Manchester, but on googling that library looks very nice! Is the Rylands one (which I gather is the pretty one) the main library, the one most people use? Or is it just decorative?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    FWIW as an english student you might find many of your source texts aren't stocked by the uni library - so it's worth checking out the public library(ies) near to each uni too for general stock/whether you can get a library card as a student and whether it's a nice environment and easy to get to from uni/halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platonicgloves)
    Wow, I haven't been to Manchester, but on googling that library looks very nice! Is the Rylands one (which I gather is the pretty one) the main library, the one most people use? Or is it just decorative?
    The JRL(City centre) is such a nice library but I would say the main library(which is separate to JRL) is more popular since it is found right in the heart of the campus. There's around 4 million books in the main library, it is a mixture of modern and old. It is absolutely huge. The next open day at the UoM is the 27th September. You should definitely come and have a look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    FWIW as an english student you might find many of your source texts aren't stocked by the uni library - so it's worth checking out the public library(ies) near to each uni too for general stock/whether you can get a library card as a student and whether it's a nice environment and easy to get to from uni/halls.

that's a very good point, I hadn't even looked into that
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Also Aberdeen: gorgeous

And Essex (if only for the funky paternaster lifts): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0parmPLYZk

And for city libraries (rather than just uni ones): Liverpool Central library is beautiful and contains the Picton Reading Room among other gems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Also Aberdeen: gorgeous

And Essex (if only for the funky paternaster lifts): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0parmPLYZk
    Great library! Aberdeen has just gone up my shortlist

And, what can I say, I was definitely smitten with the Sheffield paternoster, I rode it all the way round twice...

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Manchester. I'm an ex- English student and am consequently biased, but when I force myself to be objective, it's still Manchester. You've been told about John Rylands up above, but here is Chet's as well:

http://www.chethams.org.uk/

Beat that, anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is rich in history and has one of the most vibrant, diverse, cosmopolitan, busy, city centres in Europe.

There are many librarys in Manchester, but here are my 3 MUST VISIT manchester librarys.

1. Chetham's Library in Manchester, England, is the oldest free public reference library in the United Kingdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chetham's_Library

2. The John Rylands Library is a late-Victorian neo-Gothic building on Deansgate in Manchester, England. The library, which opened to the public in 1900

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rylands_Library

3. Central Library (Stunning architecture) Just reopened after a 40million redesign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Central_Library

Manchester, with a population of 2.7 Million and one of the most diverse cities in the world, has these world class architectural masterpieces to go with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilUK)
    Manchester is rich in history and has one of the most vibrant, diverse, cosmopolitan, busy, city centres in Europe.

There are many librarys in Manchester, but here are my 3 MUST VISIT manchester librarys.

1. Chetham's Library in Manchester, England, is the oldest free public reference library in the United Kingdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chetham's_Library

2. The John Rylands Library is a late-Victorian neo-Gothic building on Deansgate in Manchester, England. The library, which opened to the public in 1900

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rylands_Library

3. Central Library (Stunning architecture) Just reopened after a 40million redesign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Central_Library

Manchester, with a population of 2.7 Million and one of the most diverse cities in the world, has these world class architectural masterpieces to go with it.
    You haven't mentioned The Portico. It is £56 for annual student membership.

A remarkable collection of Victorian fiction and it is a lending collection. One can borrow first editions of Dickens.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.