Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Physics books for over the summer and A level physics Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi next year im studying physics maths psychology and music performing BTEC for my A levels and im interested in studying physics at University so I have a few questions.

1. what books should i buy to read? ill do the the edexcel course and im particularly interested in nuclear/particle physics so what would help with that. Also what maths books and physchology books would be hlpful? i didnt study physchology at gcse as my school didnt offer it.

2. what universities are best for nuclear physics, particle physics and theoretical physicals (seperately)?

3. do you choose some of your modules in a normal physics degree so is there a point doing courses like physics with nuclear science?

Do any universites reject you if you're 4th option is a BTEC? i thought they only care about 3 A levels but im not sure.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennz)
    Hi next year im studying physics maths psychology and music performing BTEC for my A levels and im interested in studying physics at University so I have a few questions.

1. what books should i buy to read? ill do the the edexcel course and im particularly interested in nuclear/particle physics so what would help with that. Also what maths books and physchology books would be hlpful? i didnt study physchology at gcse as my school didnt offer it.

2. what universities are best for nuclear physics, particle physics and theoretical physicals (seperately)?

3. do you choose some of your modules in a normal physics degree so is there a point doing courses like physics with nuclear science?

Do any universites reject you if you're 4th option is a BTEC? i thought they only care about 3 A levels but im not sure.

Thanks
    Hey there, So I've Just finished AS Level Physics [Edexcel Exam Board] so I can give you quite useful info.

Okay so first thing to remember which is worthy to note is that Physics at University is pure Maths and little to no written base work.Physics at University consists of primarily:
    1) Maths exam modules.
    2) Physics based exams - [70-75% Applied Maths/25% Theory]
    3) Practical assessments [Lab work + Computing - Programming etc]

You shouldn't be put off by Physics if Maths isn't your strong point as long as your willing to put time in to work upon your Maths skills. There is a large jump from GCSE - AS Level Maths and you will notice it throughout Sep - December but you would have adjusted by then.

Okay SO I'm personally interested in: Quantum Physics/Particle Physics (majority to do with theoretical physics i.e Theory of Relativity & Space-time Geometry) and I'm less of an hands-on practical based person.

I personally read at the start of AS Physics for pure personal interest:
    [1] Quarks, Leptons & The Big Bang -> Jonathan Allday (400 Page)
    ^ I would strongly recommend it to someone who has an interest in Physics, wishes to strengthen their AS & also Prepare for A2 & University in the Long-haul. Reading ahead always prepares you for what's to come and allows you gain a better insight of how actual 'theories' are put together thus making A Levels so limited. The Book consists of 300 pages of writing & about 50-60 pages of diagrams and maths formulas. The book is for some-one who has GCSE Maths knowledge & is studying AS Level Physics.

^ Once you finish AS Level Physics depending upon how far your passion for the subject is driving you I would recommend you to read:
    [2] Six easy pieces -> Richard Feynman (120-150 pages)
    ^ it allows the reader to dip their minds into every aspect without the heavy Maths skills required to fully comprehend the ideas.
    I would strongly recommend the book ONLY once you Finish AS Level Physics as you need AS Knowledge to understand the topics discussed.

Another book would be:
    [3] Einstein Theory of relativity Basic -> Make sure its not a Heavy Maths based book as you will not be able to understand the Information until 1st year University.

[4] Eistein & Bohr: The great debate about the nature of reality -> Strongly recommend this book after Quarks, Leptons & big bang as this would allow you to see things through a new perspective completely.

To answer your 2nd question, You would have to check the University League tables. My personal recommendations: 1) Oxbridge. 2) Imperial. 3) UCL. 4) Kings College London 5) Queens Mary -> example.

Yes you get to choose your Modules at university HOWEVER every Undergraduate student has to study various modules so its standardised. I believe on your 1st choice you have no say, 2nd year your allowed to choose from a few options of what Modules & likewise 3rd year. If you wish to study Masters then those modules are completely up to you & PHD Research is entirely up to you as-well thats if you go into research.

To your last question, no universities will not reject you if your 4th option = BTEC.
    AS Long as you do 3 A Levels (3 AS & A2 Same Subjects) and 2 of them being Maths/Physics & the 3rd up to you its completely fine. The 4th subject is purely there just to see if you wish to drop a subject after the first year based on several variables i.e exams, interest etc.

GOOD LUCK, Rep me please *took a time to type this all*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.