Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Quitting smoking THREAD Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So guys, after 4.5 - 5 years of this bad habit I've finally decided, out my own free will, to quite the dirty habit of smoking !!!

I bought one of those e-lites from a shop today and will be using it to help me quit.

Now before anyone tells me "You'll still be addicted to nicotine", I know. BUT by using it I'm not in the line of taking in tar, which is what kills you.

I'll be taking the regular dose of nicotine for the summer, and then gradually down the concentration till I quit completely.

If anyone else is on the road to quitting, is thinking of quitting, or who has already quit, you can talk on this thread!!

(Original post by Monsieur Gamma)
      So guys, after 4.5 - 5 years of this bad habit I've finally decided, out my own free will, to quite the dirty habit of smoking !!!

I bought one of those e-lites from a shop today and will be using it to help me quit.

Now before anyone tells me "You'll still be addicted to nicotine", I know. BUT by using it I'm not in the line of taking in tar, which is what kills you.

I'll be taking the regular dose of nicotine for the summer, and then gradually down the concentration till I quit completely.

If anyone else is on the road to quitting, is thinking of quitting, or who has already quit, you can talk on this thread!!
      A sensible thing to do:yes:
      I have had bad experience with smokers

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by arfah)
      A sensible thing to do:yes:
      I have had bad experience with smokers
      I've realised that I have a fantastic potential in both swimming and football ... I'm quite quick for a white boy (100m in 12 seconds) - excuse the bragging.

Better sooner than later.

I've realised that I have a fantastic potential in both swimming and football ... I'm quite quick for a white boy (100m in 12 seconds) - excuse the bragging.

Better sooner than later.
        Good, you don't need smoking to aid with your sports I love swimming as well:rolleyes: I don't think you're bragging, I like bragging too:lol:
        That's the spirit!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by arfah)
        Good, you don't need smoking to aid with your sports I love swimming as well:rolleyes: I don't think you're bragging, I like bragging too:lol:
        That's the spirit!
        So basically I'm going to stick to e-cigs for the moment as I've read good success stories of people quitting completely with them ... and by the time the summer ends, or just before I leave to Uni, I will have ended completely

I'll keep you updated fella

ReputationRep:

Well done
        Just think of the beautiful lungs you'll have when you've completely kicked the habit
        Good luck

Sounds good! Good luck with it!!
          Erm...I'm a girl actually, don't call me 'fella' but yea keep me updated:rofl:

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by arfah)
          Sounds good! Good luck with it!!
          Erm...I'm a girl actually, don't call me 'fella' but yea keep me updated:rofl:
          Sorry lol, I know you're a girl, but I've got a tendency of calling everyone 'fella', 'mate', 'bro' :P

Sorry lol, I know you're a girl, but I've got a tendency of calling everyone 'fella', 'mate', 'bro' :P
            Oh ok that's fine then, no misunderstandings

ReputationRep:
            i recently decided to stop smoking too, 20+ a day to 0 (i couldn't afford an e-cig at the time) the first few days i was the most livid guy going, but now im back in the gym and getting ready for rugby at uni i feel so much better for it

ReputationRep:
            I went 18 days without a cig, hoping to stop. And I've had 3 today it's just too hard ughhhh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
            I've managed to cut down to around 5-7 a day and hoping to cut that down to 0 soon...

Currently on a diet (lost 4 stone, put 1.5 back on so want to lose that) and do not have the will power to stop smoking completely and diet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Afghan Warrior)
            I went 18 days without a cig, hoping to stop. And I've had 3 today it's just too hard ughhhh

Posted from TSR Mobile
            Whenever I get a craving I just eat, or sleep :P

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by coopsyy)
            I've managed to cut down to around 5-7 a day and hoping to cut that down to 0 soon...

Currently on a diet (lost 4 stone, put 1.5 back on so want to lose that) and do not have the will power to stop smoking completely and diet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
            5-7 is the amount I was on for my 5 years of smoking.

I know it's going to be hard for me, just like everyone else, but I'm seriously determined to do it. According to some research I've done, it's believed that quitting smoking means you gain weight, which is good for someone like me

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Tuuubs)
            i recently decided to stop smoking too, 20+ a day to 0 (i couldn't afford an e-cig at the time) the first few days i was the most livid guy going, but now im back in the gym and getting ready for rugby at uni i feel so much better for it

And you haven't had one since?
            • TSR Support Team
            • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
            Moved to Health

(Original post by coopsyy)

Posted from TSR Mobile
            Almost every ex-smoker I know has put on weight after quitting. They tend to replace smoking with food.

Good luck guys!

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by *Dreamer*)
            Well done
            Just think of the beautiful lungs you'll have when you've completely kicked the habit
            Good luck
            Yeah that's it ... I'm looking to get as fit as a fiddle :P ... GF is going to be livid hahahaha

ReputationRep:
            Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by OU Student)
            Moved to Health

Almost every ex-smoker I know has put on weight after quitting. They tend to replace smoking with food.

Good luck guys!
            It's the appetite that comes back, and the taste for food which was covered by the smoke.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
            Good luck!!
            Thank you, thank you. I'm pretty certain I'll be able to

Submit reply
          TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2014
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.