Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think I have mental health issues but I don't know what is wrong with me.

Okay so if some body says something that upsets me or I get in an argument then I find myself getting really upset. When this happens and normally end up shouting, crying uncontrollably. This is often over things that other thing is something silly to get so upset over but when I'm upset i think that it's okay for me to act like this and upset everyone around me. Normally after this has happened and I have calmed down I hate that I have done it.

I also think that I have depression as I don't find anything enjoyable any more, I don't have any friends so just end up staying in the house.

I find what happens really hard to explain and I don't think that I am explaining it very well, but if anyone can help and work out what my issues are that would be really helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No-one on TSR can diagnose you - if you really do think you have a mental health issue, see your GP.

ReputationRep:
    I was just trying to get some advice and see if anyone else has the same or similar issue

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

First of all I am not a professional. I agree with the previous reply that for a mental health problem it is safer to see a doctor or therapist.

However, admitting a problem is also accepting it, which is the best first step so well done!

Second a little disclaimer: anything I say is opinion and I do not want to offend, upset or dismiss you in any way. Every feeling, no matter how small, is legitimate and worthy of discussion.

First you state that you feel you overreact to confrontation. I hope this is a fair interpretation. Consider that perhaps this is not the problem, but that your reactions are a cry for help. I see you are feeling depressed from what you said in your second paragraph. This is what I would wish to advise on as I feel that it may be the root of your sensitivity.

I would guess that you box up many of your emotions and when tensions run high you lose control of the box and your built-up emotions run loose, which is why you feel you overreact. If so, then you can either address your hidden issues or learn to control them. I cannot advise which is best - everyone is different.

As to feelings of depression, if it is affecting your quality of life, I would advise seeing your GP. They will ask you to do a short questionnaire to determine the severity of your depression and from there you can decide on a course of action.
    In my opinion the best treatment is talking therapies and mindfulness, which is a form of meditation. Talking and sharing in a safe space with someone who is impartial and will not judge is a lifesaver. You can say whatever you want and nobody will ever know. It's great to vent.

I do not know your age so I'll just add for adolescents the stress of growing up, getting more responsibility and hormones cause strong emotions. Like asthma, you can grow out of it. I speak from personal experience and again I say I am not dismissing your feelings.

Just remember mental illness is common but that does not mean you are mentally ill. If you do not have a mental illness it doesn't mean you can't get some help with your feelings. That's what counsellors are for.

Take care and if you need more advice just ask.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.