Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Compelling circumstances for loans- urgent advice needed Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all- I'm really in need of advice
    I failed my second year initially and was granted first attempt which meant my fees were waived- so 13/14 was my 'gift year'- but I left and was given temporarily leave. My student support told me my fees would be waived again.

I didn't even realise my fees would be affected. I only found out as I am looking to transfer universities to wales and was ringing sf to see if things would change did she inform me

The advisor stated that id used my gift year and wasn't entitled to a loan or a grant. She said however that a CPR form would be considered, letter from a doctor or the university. And that it's unusual that they ignore circumstances. However after reading a few threads - it seems as though they are really strict?

My circumstances are related to sexual abuse by my brother which affected many avenues of my life. Will they sympathise?

My degree is a three year programme

ReputationRep:
    Guys please help I'm going out of my mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red army)
    Hi all- I'm really in need of advice
    I failed my second year initially and was granted first attempt which meant my fees were waived- so 13/14 was my 'gift year'- but I left and was given temporarily leave. My student support told me my fees would be waived again.

I didn't even realise my fees would be affected. I only found out as I am looking to transfer universities to wales and was ringing sf to see if things would change did she inform me

The advisor stated that id used my gift year and wasn't entitled to a loan or a grant. She said however that a CPR form would be considered, letter from a doctor or the university. And that it's unusual that they ignore circumstances. However after reading a few threads - it seems as though they are really strict?

My circumstances are related to sexual abuse by my brother which affected many avenues of my life. Will they sympathise?

My degree is a three year programme
    I don't see what the question is. You have extenuating circumstances clearly and the lady from student finance said you will need a letter to prove it.

ReputationRep:
    My question and worry was that, SF have a record or apparently not granting many people the funds, when the circumstances were evident. So I'm worried it may not work out for me. I can't self find my second year so I'm screwed.

I have a sick note in my records,
    A letter from a family friend who's a GP
    And I can also receive a letter from the university. I thought that was concrete evidence but I've read a few people say they had pages upon pages, clearly backing their situation and they didn't receive it.

If they didn't accept, would I be able to use my maintenance loan to pay my tuition fees?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.