Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Unexpectedly I got a high 2.2 (borderline 2.1) in my first year at the LSE. Assuming I get firsts/high 2.1s in all modules during my second year where it counts 4/9 of my degree (first year only counts for 1/9) do I still stand a good chance for a masters degree at Cambridge?

In terms of work experience and extra curricular activities, I am excellent so this is not a problem.

I am just worried that the 2.2 in first year, which although counts for hardly anything in my degree, might ruin my chances?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have recently graduated from KCL, I'm unsure of grade weighting at LSE but I presume it's broadly compatible across the UoL Federation. At KCL, one's first year accounts for 10% of their overall degree result. Whilst this is substantial, it means that you shouldn't abandon all hope now. If you manage to attain a mid/high 2:1 next year, or even a first it will push this years grade up and improve your overall average (remember, your result in second year will also count for more of your degree). So in short, your chances of getting into Cambridge are not squandered. It is probably a fair comment that you are in a slightly precarious position- a low 2:1 next year might not be sufficient for Cambridge's high standards- but entrance onto a masters program is by no means impossible. The advice that I'd give you is pretty generic. Focus, work hard and you will likely find that this pays dividends.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.