Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I'm a student from Malaysia who'll be studying in Edinburgh this coming September. Honestly, I'd never been out of South-East Asia and I don't really know what to prepare and expect. I really hope that you guys can help me by giving some tips and advice. Thanks a lot folks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshyeah)
    Hi there! I'm a student from Malaysia who'll be studying in Edinburgh this coming September. Honestly, I'd never been out of South-East Asia and I don't really know what to prepare and expect. I really hope that you guys can help me by giving some tips and advice. Thanks a lot folks!
    Hello fellow Malaysian *waves*

I've never been to Edinburgh but I'm studying in England so I think I'd be able to help you one way or another.

What do you need help with? Clothing? Because the most important thing is that you pack your wardrobe appropriate to the climate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilyghz)
    Hello fellow Malaysian *waves*

I've never been to Edinburgh but I'm studying in England so I think I'd be able to help you one way or another.

What do you need help with? Clothing? Because the most important thing is that you pack your wardrobe appropriate to the climate

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi there Lily! Yes indeed! I do need help with the clothing. For now, I have already acquired some sweaters, winter jackets, woollen socks, gloves, long johns etc. But still, I do not know if I'd miss out anything important

ReputationRep:
    I guess your luggage will be limited - so I would buy clothes here. Congrats on getting to Edinburgh - a beautiful city.

Here are the averages - I am not sure I believe them 100%!

http://www.holiday-weather.com/edinburgh/averages/

However you do it - whether you buy here or at home, I would have layers. Scotland can be very cold and wet and also quite warm. You can get cheap clothes here - don't overlook the charity shops - you can get great stuff really cheaply.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there Lily! Yes indeed! I do need help with the clothing. For now, I have already acquired some sweaters, winter jackets, woollen socks, gloves, long johns etc. But still, I do not know if I'd miss out anything important
    LONG JOHNS!!! You are going to Edinburgh not the Arctic

ReputationRep:
    Seems like you have everything that's absolutely necessary but you may also want to consider woolen scarves and hats. Some people like them but some people don't so it's up to you really

Another thing to keep in mind is just get some regular long sleeve shirts because a) they're comfortable b) if you wear only thick layers you'll overheat quickly.. or at least that's what I've found. But basically layer up properly so you're not too cold and not too hot.

And sensible shoes! They're important too especially if there's going to be snow or just very low temperatures. Try and get your hands on some good quality boots that are comfortable, water resistant to prevent trench foot if your feet get soaked in the rain and have a good grip so you don't end up skidding on ice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    LONG JOHNS!!! You are going to Edinburgh not the Arctic
    It's close to the arctic enough if you've lived in scorching hot weather your whole life!

Josh, admittedly you don't necessarily need long johns but I think you'll he happy you have them when you first get there if it's super freezing (I know I was). But realistically you won't need them after a while though i suppose it depends on how well you can handle the cold.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    I guess your luggage will be limited - so I would buy clothes here. Congrats on getting to Edinburgh - a beautiful city.

Here are the averages - I am not sure I believe them 100%!

http://www.holiday-weather.com/edinburgh/averages/

However you do it - whether you buy here or at home, I would have layers. Scotland can be very cold and wet and also quite warm. You can get cheap clothes here - don't overlook the charity shops - you can get great stuff really cheaply.
    Yes indeed, 30kg check in luggage is really a challenge for me :O Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, I might not be going to the Arctic but yet, as someone who'd lived in a tropical country which averages 30 Celsius yearlong for about 20 years, even 15 degrees is daunting to me

ReputationRep:
    Seems like you have everything that's absolutely necessary but you may also want to consider woolen scarves and hats. Some people like them but some people don't so it's up to you really

Another thing to keep in mind is just get some regular long sleeve shirts because a) they're comfortable b) if you wear only thick layers you'll overheat quickly.. or at least that's what I've found. But basically layer up properly so you're not too cold and not too hot.

And sensible shoes! They're important too especially if there's going to be snow or just very low temperatures. Try and get your hands on some good quality boots that are comfortable, water resistant to prevent trench foot if your feet get soaked in the rain and have a good grip so you don't end up skidding on ice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see! I think I shall get a beanie and some scarf then

Okay, noted. Will keep them in mind.

Oh yes, shoes! About the boots, I don't think I can get any decent ones in Malaysia so most probably I'll be off shopping for it in Edinburgh. I'd even read on the Net that there're even boots for different seasons! What are the differences then? Is there any "all year long boots"?

ReputationRep:
    I see! I think I shall get a beanie and some scarf then

Okay, noted. Will keep them in mind.

Oh yes, shoes! About the boots, I don't think I can get any decent ones in Malaysia so most probably I'll be off shopping for it in Edinburgh. I'd even read on the Net that there're even boots for different seasons! What are the differences then? Is there any "all year long boots"?
    It depends on where you look for them but if you would prefer to shop for them in Edinburgh instead then by all means do so though there are some shops that sell decent boots if you look around KL

All year round boots - not to my knowledge. I don't think you would want to wear boots when it gets warmer haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's not going to be that cold when you get here (assuming you are coming in september) so make sure you're not wearing a scarf and gloves and all that when you first arrive. I agree with the others that you should buy stuff when you get here, that way you can judge for yourself how cold it feels.

The great thing (I think) about Scottish weather is how quickly it changes. I remember one April it was record high temperatures one week, then huge amounts of snow the next! So it is best to be prepared for anything. Luckily east-coast weather usually isn't too bad, there's certainly a lot less rain than the west-coast.

Congrats on getting a place at Edinburgh, I'm sure you'll love it here. I'm actually moving to Edinburgh from Dundee myself to study so I know I'm looking forward to it.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on where you look for them but if you would prefer to shop for them in Edinburgh instead then by all means do so though there are some shops that sell decent boots if you look around KL

All year round boots - not to my knowledge. I don't think you would want to wear boots when it gets warmer haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think I'll wear my cadet boots first for the first few days then go shopping around in Edinburgh, haha!

Anyway, Thanks for sharing Lily! God bless you!

ReputationRep:
    At least two waterproof coats

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    It's not going to be that cold when you get here (assuming you are coming in september) so make sure you're not wearing a scarf and gloves and all that when you first arrive. I agree with the others that you should buy stuff when you get here, that way you can judge for yourself how cold it feels.

The great thing (I think) about Scottish weather is how quickly it changes. I remember one April it was record high temperatures one week, then huge amounts of snow the next! So it is best to be prepared for anything. Luckily east-coast weather usually isn't too bad, there's certainly a lot less rain than the west-coast.

Congrats on getting a place at Edinburgh, I'm sure you'll love it here. I'm actually moving to Edinburgh from Dundee myself to study so I know I'm looking forward to it.
    Thanks a lot! Yes indeed, Edinburgh is really a nice place! Really looking forward to it! All the best in your studies

ReputationRep:
    September time is just the right time where it starts getting colder. The highest temperature for September is probably about 15-16 celsius or so? In the mornings it would be about 8 celsius.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll wear my cadet boots first for the first few days then go shopping around in Edinburgh, haha!

Anyway, Thanks for sharing Lily! God bless you!
    No worries. All the best in Edinburgh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A rain coat is a must but you don't need waterproof like trousers , lol or take an umbrella if you are allowed through custom.
    can snow I the winter from late November to early April .
    summer is around 20c.
    september/October can be strange month. Can be cold like 10c but can still be warm like 20c

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.