Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is law school like in England (specifically UEA)? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I am a Canadian student thinking of studying law at the University of East Anglia. My other option is Oxford Brookes. I was thinking of obtaining my LLB and coming back to Canada to practice law, or perhaps practice law in England. I just had a few questions regarding the English law program, specifically at East Anglia.

1) How are you generally graded throughout the year? What is the format for exams? Essay and multiple choice? If there are essay based exams are we allowed to type them?

2) How good does your command of the English language need to be? I am willing to work my ass off but I'm scared that I won't be strong enough at English to do well.

3) Do higher ranked universities make it harder for you to achieve better grades? If I do go back to Canada the reputation of the university won't matter too much so perhaps going to Oxford Brookes might be better for me.

4) Around what age are the students that study law in England?

5) Does your first year of law count less towards your overall degree than your last two years?

6) Do you need experience in debate?

Sorry for the plethora of questions. If anyone could answer these questions I would greatly appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I will also be studying law llb here in England where I'm originally from. I hope you have a great experience with us Brits, while studying.

1) Hey exams are essay based and will be handwritten, essays as in coursework will be typed up. Generally your English needs to be good. There are modules and exams, although your first year will not count towards the final degree. First year you will be given modules and second,third year you will be able to choose your modules.

2) Well good English is required. I've retook my English exam to achieve a better grade to make my grammar stronger for university. Don't be harsh on yourself just know how to punctuate correctly and spell correctly.

3) Well I've heard universities are all different, and have different ways of teaching and stuff. Oxfordbrookes is a good university by the way! they have good reputation.

4) well I'm 19. I was meant to go university last year, when I was 18, but I chose not to go then and decided to take a gap year. People in university are of different ages. Don't worry everyone is friendly and well coming because everyone is in the same boat.

5)I don't know, but I've been told how it wont impact your overall degree.

6) I have no experience in debates and laugh at everything and anything, so its new for me too as I've never studied law before.

I hoped I helped, and don't worry. I'm not going to a nearby university either. I'm going to be travelling to London everyday and everyone will be from different places, so don't worry. If you don't know how to structure out essays then there will a department that will help. You will be taught everything from scratch.

Sorry for being a cheesy ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Highfiveyou)
    Hey, I will also be studying law llb here in England where I'm originally from. I hope you have a great experience with us Brits, while studying.

1) Hey exams are essay based and will be handwritten, essays as in coursework will be typed up. Generally your English needs to be good. There are modules and exams, although your first year will not count towards the final degree. First year you will be given modules and second,third year you will be able to choose your modules.

2) Well good English is required. I've retook my English exam to achieve a better grade to make my grammar stronger for university. Don't be harsh on yourself just know how to punctuate correctly and spell correctly.

3) Well I've heard universities are all different, and have different ways of teaching and stuff. Oxfordbrookes is a good university by the way! they have good reputation.

4) well I'm 19. I was meant to go university last year, when I was 18, but I chose not to go then and decided to take a gap year. People in university are of different ages. Don't worry everyone is friendly and well coming because everyone is in the same boat.

5)I don't know, but I've been told how it wont impact your overall degree.

6) I have no experience in debates and laugh at everything and anything, so its new for me too as I've never studied law before.

I hoped I helped, and don't worry. I'm not going to a nearby university either. I'm going to be travelling to London everyday and everyone will be from different places, so don't worry. If you don't know how to structure out essays then there will a department that will help. You will be taught everything from scratch.

Sorry for being a cheesy ****.
    Thank you for replying! You were really helpful

ReputationRep:
    just out of interest, why england?

you might as well just stay in canada if you want to be a lawyer there. unless you save money, or are going to a top 10 university, i'd just study in canada.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AA7-)
    Hey guys, I am a Canadian student thinking of studying law at the University of East Anglia. My other option is Oxford Brookes. I was thinking of obtaining my LLB and coming back to Canada to practice law, or perhaps practice law in England. I just had a few questions regarding the English law program, specifically at East Anglia.

1) How are you generally graded throughout the year? What is the format for exams? Essay and multiple choice? If there are essay based exams are we allowed to type them?

2) How good does your command of the English language need to be? I am willing to work my ass off but I'm scared that I won't be strong enough at English to do well.

3) Do higher ranked universities make it harder for you to achieve better grades? If I do go back to Canada the reputation of the university won't matter too much so perhaps going to Oxford Brookes might be better for me.

4) Around what age are the students that study law in England?

5) Does your first year of law count less towards your overall degree than your last two years?

6) Do you need experience in debate?

Sorry for the plethora of questions. If anyone could answer these questions I would greatly appreciate it!

1) Your graded on coursework and exams. Exams are essay based and you can only type them if you have a specific disability which prevents you handwriting. Coursework must be typed.

2) It needs to be at a reasonable standard, if English isn't your first language you will be asked to pass a language test with the required grades to get in. You would also be allowed a dictionary in exams.

3) Not really sure, the problem is few people have experience of more than one uni at undergrad level so don't really know

4) Most will be 18-21 but there will be a few older students

5) Yes first year doesn't count at all

6) It's not essential no

Be aware though you will probably need to take exams in Canada to practice there with a foreign law degree and its very hard here for international students to stay in the UK after their degree unless they can find an employer who will sponsor them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.