Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bodybuilding myths Watch

ReputationRep:
    Post some common bodybuilding myths.

I remember some time ago people use to say if you lift, you won't grow.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    That you need to eat very soon before or after your work out so that your body immediately has the resources to begin recovery. The reality is digestion is a slow process that occurs over several hours, so even if you eat 2 hours beforehand your body is still taking it in.

Another related myth is that you should eat every 2-3 hours versus eating in a few big meals, when what actually matters is net intake.

ReputationRep:
    That there is hypertrophy training and then there is strength training, as though you have to choose one or the other. The stupid 5 reps or less and you only gain strength, 6-10 reps only builds size myth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    That you need to eat very soon before or after your work out so that your body immediately has the resources to begin recovery. The reality is digestion is a slow process that occurs over several hours, so even if you eat 2 hours beforehand your body is still taking it in.
    I'm sure they did research on this and showed the addition of digestive enzymes increased the rate of absorption of protein up to 227% and increased the absorption rate of glucose (can't remember the percentage) and hence you did need to consume protein straight after?

I will have a look and try to find the source if you're interested.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttankzhang)
    I'm sure they did research on this and showed the addition of digestive enzymes increased the rate of absorption of protein up to 227% and increased the absorption rate of glucose (can't remember the percentage) and hence you did need to consume protein straight after?

I will have a look and try to find the source if you're interested.
    You might be right - I'm not aware of the research basis of the claim or anti-claim. This was a point brought up when I was watching a bodybuilding myths video.

There might also be a distinction between a protein shake and eating a meal in terms of their respective absorption rates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)

Another related myth is that you should eat every 2-3 hours versus eating in a few big meals, when what actually matters is net intake.

I wouldn't say that was a myth, perhaps people over emphasis it, but certainly if I eat before the gym I have more energy than I do if I don't. Equally if I eat after the gym, especially after cardio I start replacing my low glycogen levels and prevent any muscle wastage that may occur from burning too many calories.

Depending on the food it may take a good few hours to digest it completely, but if you start to feel you are lacking energy then take a protein shake and a banana during or straight after a work out, you will feel the difference in a matter of minutes. You can simply test this by checking your blood sugar levels right before and straight after you've ate.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I heard 'Squats are the best exercise for your bis mate' in the gym the other day.

Outstanding.

ReputationRep:
    Bodybuilders eat little to no carbs.............. apparently.

ReputationRep:
    "After you lift, walking around the gym will help keep you going" or something stupid like that

ReputationRep:
    I've been told that you should never rest more than a minute between sets lol

ReputationRep:
    Eat 10 small meals a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattyR2895)
    That there is hypertrophy training and then there is strength training, as though you have to choose one or the other. The stupid 5 reps or less and you only gain strength, 6-10 reps only builds size myth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There is myth and there is truth mixed together here.

Certainly it's true that if you train with low reps you will still grow, and if you train with higher reps you will still get stronger - so if anyone thinking that training for strength necessarily excludes getting bigger, or that training for size necessarily excludes getting stronger that's a myth. But I doubt anyone actually does think that.

But it's also certainly true that training with lower reps is more effective for developing maximal strength, and training for the most part in a higher rep range (around 5-20) is more effective for hypertrophy, though the latter is subject to all sorts of further complications.

ReputationRep:
    Doing cardio will harm #gains

ReputationRep:
    Body builders are stupid. Oh wait...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Estreth)
    There is myth and there is truth mixed together here.

Certainly it's true that if you train with low reps you will still grow, and if you train with higher reps you will still get stronger - so if anyone thinking that training for strength necessarily excludes getting bigger, or that training for size necessarily excludes getting stronger that's a myth. But I doubt anyone actually does think that.

But it's also certainly true that training with lower reps is more effective for developing maximal strength, and training for the most part in a higher rep range (around 5-20) is more effective for hypertrophy, though the latter is subject to all sorts of further complications.

I remember reading on t-nation an article about bodybuilders vs powerlifters and they tested 1 rep max and multiple reps. The powerlifters had a higher 1 rep max but the bodybuilder could push out more reps at moderate weight.

It might be all anecdotal, but I suppose it makes sense if you train for reps you'll get better at reps and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Last Day Lepers)
    I remember reading on t-nation an article about bodybuilders vs powerlifters and they tested 1 rep max and multiple reps. The powerlifters had a higher 1 rep max but the bodybuilder could push out more reps at moderate weight.

It might be all anecdotal, but I suppose it makes sense if you train for reps you'll get better at reps and vice versa.
    Exactly. SAID - specific adaptation to imposed demands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Nombre)
    I heard 'Squats are the best exercise for your bis mate' in the gym the other day.

Outstanding.
    Not the stupidest thing I've ever heard, there was a study that showed doing squats saw 10% rise in bicep muscle mass compared to the control group of no-squats due to hormone changes from doing large compound exercises.

(Original post by h3isenberg)
    Doing cardio will harm #gains
    Depends on what you mean by harm; if you mean you don't maximise gains by doing long bouts of cardio then that's not a myth.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttankzhang)
    Not the stupidest thing I've ever heard, there was a study that showed doing squats saw 10% rise in bicep muscle mass compared to the control group of no-squats due to hormone changes from doing large compound exercises.

Depends on what you mean by harm; if you mean you don't maximise gains by doing long bouts of cardio then that's not a myth.
    I know squats create an anabolic environment and all, but if you want big arms squats alone aren't going to do the job ahead of curls, skull crushers, chins etc.

ReputationRep:
    eat 6-8 small meals throughout the day to "stoke the metabilic fire"
    eliminate carbs to lose weight
    carbs make you fat
    don't eat late at night or you will gain fat
    do high reps to tone
    women shouldn't lift weights or they will get "bulky"
    saturated fat is bad
    anyone who advises a bodypart split that hits each muscle only 1x per week, lol enjoy your poverty progressive overload and gains

ReputationRep:
    Deadlift creates growth hormone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.