The Student Room Group

Is porridge a winter breakfast?

So I'm in the process of training for Tough Mudder (crazy right :zomg: ) and I was getting my daily dose of porridge the other day. However, one customer was like to me why am I buying porridge? That's such a winter breakfast! :tongue:

So it got me thinking, 1. Do you have porridge during the (sort of) hot summer months and if not 2. what's your suitable alternative?

I shall be checking this regularly :colone:

Scroll to see replies

It can be summery!! Have it with jam or summer berries? Very summery!

Perhaps not if it is 30 degrees outside but if you're eating at breakfast time it shouldn't be.

Tough Mudder? Pics pls :biggrin:
You can eat whatever you like for breakfast. Just because others don't like it is not a reason for you to stop eating it in summer - unless you like being a sheep.

People worry far, far, too much about what others think and conforming to perceived 'norms'.

It's all bull. So if it doesn't break any laws, eat what pleases you whenever it pleases you.
you can eat stuff whenever you like... the Breakfast Police will not be breaking down your door anytime soon

:facepalm2:
Eat it cold :wink:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Eat it cold :wink:

I was going to say this but didn't want people to think I was weird. LOVE cold porridge!
Original post by Neostigmine
I was going to say this but didn't want people to think I was weird. LOVE cold porridge!

:afraid: I bet you like it lumpy too! :yucky:

Actually, I can't eat oats so I eat rice porridge for breakfast. That stuff is DELICIOUS cold.

Actually, I can't eat oats so I eat rice porridge for breakfast. That stuff is DELICIOUS cold.

Lumpy?? How very dare you. Never had rice porridge. Sounds interesting though!
Lumpy?? How very dare you. Never had rice porridge. Sounds interesting though!

It's generally marketed as a baby food but let's not talk about that. >.>
Reply 9
It can be summery!! Have it with jam or summer berries? Very summery!

Perhaps not if it is 30 degrees outside but if you're eating at breakfast time it shouldn't be.

Tough Mudder? Pics pls :biggrin:

Sadly no pics to show off expect for me trying to run and failing :tongue:

Rice porridge? :teeth: Ooh, that sounds good :biggrin:
Original post by Slowbro93
Sadly no pics to show off expect for me trying to run and failing :tongue:

Rice porridge? :teeth: Ooh, that sounds good :biggrin:

'tis good. But not as nutritious as oats porridge I'd imagine, so don't try to tough mudder on it. :tongue:
I had porridge for breakfast today and yesterday and IT WAS GREAT

edit: I hab a cold.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
'tis good. But not as nutritious as oats porridge I'd imagine, so don't try to tough mudder on it. :tongue:

Will bare that in mind :tongue:
Porridge is an all year round food. Nothing like a good bowl of oats to fuel your day.

Not had it in a while but the best thing to do is mix in a large spoon of peanut butter. It honestly makes it 10 times as nice. :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by Motorbiker
Porridge is an all year round food. Nothing like a good bowl of oats to fuel your day.

Not had it in a while but the best thing to do is mix in a large spoon of peanut butter. It honestly makes it 10 times as nice. :biggrin:

I may actually try that, had it with jam the other day and it was lush :coma:
Tough mudder, dam I know some people who did it and filmed it, looks so good

OT; Porridge can be for anything, I sometimes eat it in summer but it's a bit overbearing if it's really hot that day though
Reply 16
wat

that doesn't make sense. i eat ice cream in winter and porridge in summer.
Reply 17
Original post by Motorbiker

hmm never tried this, will give it a go today. usually i mix it with honey and cinnamon.
Winter breakfast?
Original post by Slowbro93
I may actually try that, had it with jam the other day and it was lush :coma:

Jam is good. PB is different but awesome. Now i have the ultimate breakfast of idea of a PB &J porridge but i'm not sure...

Original post by Stinkum
hmm never tried this, will give it a go today. usually i mix it with honey and cinnamon.

Post back with pictures and a description of how awesome it is!

Quick Reply

Latest